comp break in oil

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
i have ordered my Joe Gibbs BR 15 w50 break in oil.Do I need to add a bottle of Comp break in addative also.This is a new 360 that is home at last.Now ready to finish of the top end.I know I should add some kind of zink with every oil change .what do you guys use.

You do not need to add the comp break in oil if you are using straight joe gibbs oil...

Ok yep its on order.Joe Gibbs BR 15w50 break in oil.A little over 50 bucks Canadian.Fire it up for 30 minutes drain of 50 bucks of oil.almost seams like a waste of money.

Hey Snake, I used straight 10w30 Royal Purple break in oil. Didn't add any other kind of additive bottle. The zinc is already added in the break in oil for these older motors. Just pour it in.

Hey Snake, I used straight 10w30 Royal Purple break in oil. Didn't add any other kind of additive bottle. The zinc is already added in the break in oil for these older motors. Just pour it in.

10w30 than why is the guy who built the bottom end want 15w50? this stuff is on order,the builder says use it or no warrenty

Ok yep its on order.Joe Gibbs BR 15w50 break in oil.A little over 50 bucks Canadian.Fire it up for 30 minutes drain of 50 bucks of oil.almost seams like a waste of money.

Yeah it seems the additive added to some cheap straight weight oil would be cheaper.

Years ago all motor oil was high in zinc but it still was recommended to add a bottle of GM EOS which WAS very high in zinc.

This is how I might be doing my break in.

Get some straight 20 or 30 weight oil--look for the SM on the bottle, if it has it you don't want it, lol And add a bottle of Comps lube. Drain oil after 30 mins, change filter--I be using a racing filter for higher flow.

Then add the "good stuff" I like Valvoline not street legal oil--my old engine stayed cleaned even thou I was changing it at 3,00 miles or 4 months. Leave that oil in for 500 miles-or one month and change it and the filter again. Then more "good stuff" oil and it be time to beat on the motor!

10/30w + compcams brake in 20min, -drain- new
20/50w+stp new filter, 500miles- drain-new
20/50w+stp new filter and pull the engine so high rpm you whant, thats how i do and it works for me.

10w30 than why is the guy who built the bottom end want 15w50? this stuff is on order,the builder says use it or no warrenty

It may seam like a lot of $$$ for the oil, but how much would a new cam, lifters and the eng disassemble for cleaning and re assembled?????????/

Yeah, for a non full race eng, it may me be excessive, But it's GOOD insurance!

What he is saying is one of the thicker oils commonly available in the market. I am wagering that he thinks the thicker oil will add a measure of additional protection in bearing clearances.

-
Back