comp cam 20-228-4 .545 lift, to much cam?

-

hardcore5657

Reaction score
I have a 73 duster with a 360, I just went with magnum heads, edelbrock air gap intake, 750 Holley carb, 10.1 compression. I was thinking of installing a comp cam 20-228-4 .545 lift, is that to much cam? I have 3.55 gears and a 3000 stall.

Probably too much cam,unless a serious street or race car.The cam size down from this is still healthy for a street 360.Its called a Comp he275xl.There is a green dart sport in the video section here with it.I bought the cam you are looking at.Same weight,gear and converter,but I specd it for a 408.Probably looking at the cam I listed for sale here.

That'll be nice, lumpy and tough sounding. stall might be on the edge but. A little 2 foot driving may be needed, if it's a loose stall it'll be ok.

Will stock Magnum heads take that much lift?

Not without buying springs and retainers(Hughes,I think)I went through this on my Magnum cam swap.Valve spring retainer to valve guide hit at .510 lift.Hughes spring and retainer kit are supposed to be good to .550 lift.

make shore you check your push-rod length too when you put it together. I don't know if i've been just lucky but every cam i've used needed different lengths. solids, small hydraulic, larger hydraulic, all different.

OK, IMO, when everything is sorted out, heads take the lift, etc...

I say no, though, I'd like to see a 3.91 gear and a wider tire in the 60 series take up a home under the well. A 245/60/15 is a right in that 26/1/2 inch area and would do well for a street bound ride. The 3.55's would be a bit sluggish outta the hole and take awhile to get up to RPM for power production.

Also, you can live with that converter, (And 3.91's/4.10's etc....) though a higher stall would be better.

You won't go wrong with this one.
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=631&sb=0
I'm using it now in a very similar setup. Excellent power, builds quickly through 2000-6000 and very streetable with an awsome sound to boot !

Here is it running in mine (before car was painted):
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbaR0CuWG4g"]Dart Sport 360 XE275XL Comp Cams Idle - YouTube[/ame]

This is after paint driving around just breaking in everything:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcy3rVCMO4k"]Dart Sport 360 - Engine break in and cruzing around - YouTube[/ame]

Don't forget magnum heads use 1.6 ratio rockers. That brings the lift up to .581"... It'll loose some due to the bad lifter to pushrod angle but as long as geometry is good will probably still be .550 or so. If Hughes retainers add enough height to allow .550" lift that's still not nearly enough. You need some breathing room. Plus as rumble pointed out you don't have enough gear or converter. It'll run with them. But it'll be a slug out of the hole. The XE275HL would be a much better match. Or a Lunati 60404 would work real good too. I ran that Lunati in my old 360 with 3.55 gears and a 3000 converter and it worked good. could have still used a little more stall and gear but it was ok.

-
Back