comp cam 20-228-4

-

Reaction score
Hi all. thinking of going to comp cam part# 20-228-4 545 lift 285/297 duration @ 110 centerline. Has anybody used this cam?. any comments good or bad appreciated.

has nobody tried this cam?. thinking of this cam with a 10.5- 1 compression 340 with worked over x heads . victor 340 intake, 830 cfm holley, 4speed, 3.91 gears. any comments.

has nobody tried this cam?. thinking of this cam with a 10.5- 1 compression 340 with worked over x heads . victor 340 intake, 830 cfm holley, 4speed, 3.91 gears. any comments.

Guess not! I would say there are plenty of folk on here that have used the 275 or the 295 so the line as a whole can't be bad. Seems to be a trend of using something from the Lunati Voodoo line over Comp but I don't think these are bad cams.

here is a awsome comp cams custom grind crs-290-1/295-1s106....... in 540 ex555 dur@50 is255 and 260 and a 106 lobe sep this cam works real well with ported 308 heads i would think ported x heads would work fine to

that does sound interesting Jimjimjimmy. when you say custom grind do you mean you have to order it that way from comp?. is this a hydraulic cam also?.

I looked at the voodoo cams but up here they are a special order for my parts guy as they arent as popular as comp cams stuff. I have had good luck with comp cams and if you break them in properly they are good.

I ran a Desktop Dyno 2003 sim. for you - Seems to make pretty good HP.

Heads were the flow figures from Ryan J's ported J heads on his web site...

340_CompXE285HL_241_247_ShadyJs_SPjpg.jpg

Arent comp and lunati mostly Chevy grinds? No thanks!

Find a cam manufacturer that utilizes the mopar 904 lifter configuration.

Arent comp and lunati mostly Chevy grinds? No thanks!

Find a cam manufacturer that utilizes the mopar 904 lifter configuration.

Mostly maybe, but not the HL-series Comp hydraulics or the Voodoos. You can only go so far before the hydraulic lifter becomes an issue and these cams aren't far off being as aggressive as a Hughes grind.

I used the next size up from that one on my 360 XE295HL...it worked well for a few miles (literally just a few miles), then it wiped a lobe and that was the end of that engine. I went solid roller after that debacle...current cam is comp XR286R, works great, but going bigger soon :-D.

thanks Rat Patrol i am going to print that dyno sheet out . Flyfish good info too. I have heard of other guys wiping lobes on some comp cams also. Some were i read oil with zinc is critical on breakin?. what do you think makes these cams fail. Your stroker makes great power do you drive that car on the street on occasion? MY Dart is 90% street car but i do like to go to the track as much as possible. I would really like to pull the 340 and build a stroker but hey you cant have it all i guess.

yes you need that part number to order and tell them its a custom grind a buddy ran a 73cuda and a 340 308 heads and ran consistant 11.30s with this cam and stock 273 valve gear and its a solid flat tappet cam

thanks Rat Patrol i am going to print that dyno sheet out . Flyfish good info too. I have heard of other guys wiping lobes on some comp cams also. Some were i read oil with zinc is critical on breakin?. what do you think makes these cams fail. Your stroker makes great power do you drive that car on the street on occasion? MY Dart is 90% street car but i do like to go to the track as much as possible. I would really like to pull the 340 and build a stroker but hey you cant have it all i guess.

FWIW, I did everything I could to prevent a cam failure (removed inner spring during break-in, added Comp 159 oil additive, etc)...sometimes you just get lemons.

Yes, my car sees quite a bit of street miles to the grocery store, taking the kids to sports, take the wife on a date....pretty much any excuse I can come up with to drive the car :iconbigg:.

oh yeah and it lifts the wheels of the ground. sweet!!. what do you run for suspension in that fish.

Nothing fancy, and I know this doesn't sound like it should work, but for some reason it does. Competition engineering shocks (90/10 front and 50/50 rear), sagging to the point of being flat rear springs and a snubber. That, coupled with the Hoosier QTP tires puts the front end about a foot of the ground most days with 60' times between 1.50-1.49 consistently.

I would like to switch to a Caltrac setup, but since it hooks hard and consistent, I'm a little hesitant to change anything.

yeah why mess with it if it works. even with the caltracs you would be hard pressed to improve on those 60' times.how about frame connectors. i am building some for the dart. with the 4 speed i have had problems with twisting the drivers side motor mount after a couple of hard launches. I broke the passenger side mount off the k member and the drivers side motor mount is twisting?, i removed the k member and rewelded every factory weld and added a schumacher hold down and i still am twisting the drivers side mount. hoping the frame connectors help.

solid mount twisting.

Attachments

• motor mount 001.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 115
-
Back