Comp Cams cam lube drying up

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
I just lubed up a new cam with comp cams cam lube the runny red stuff left it for a couple days didn't install the lifters yet came back to install them and the cam is dry lube is gone. Not sure I have any faith in it. Where did it go I want to install lifters but the motors going to sit so I'm not sure it is safe. Is this normal.

I had the same problem. Coated the cam the 1st time on the engine stand. Days later, most of it ran off. 2nd time I coated everything was with the engine installed in the car. Left off the intake manifold and lifters. Coated the cam and bottom of the lifters, and fired the engine within 2 days. Cam broke in fine, no problems.

I seem to remember back in the day using a moly paste for the cam and lifters. And it stayed on there no problem.

I had the same problem. Coated the cam the 1st time on the engine stand. Days later, most of it ran off. 2nd time I coated everything was with the engine installed in the car. Left off the intake manifold and lifters. Coated the cam and bottom of the lifters, and fired the engine within 2 days. Cam broke in fine, no problems.

I seem to remember back in the day using a moly paste for the cam and lifters. And it stayed on there no problem.
I'm just wondering if I should coat again with lifters or use something else I was hoping to fire soon but got held up and saw this. Also wondering If I prime engine wont that just wipe everything anyway.

Get some Joe Gibbs driven assembly lube/grease. I wouldnt use the comp lube on my lawn mower cam let alone anything else..

I would think priming engine wont wipe lube off. We never rotated engine when we primed the 273 and used Comp cams lube. No issues.

If you're going to fire it in a day or two, re-coat it with the Comp cams lube. Otherwise, Marcohotrod has good advice for a longer period.

I don't care for the comp lube. Who wants to pull the intake to lube the cam again if you have to wait a couple days for some reason. Isky rev lube.

The thicker moly lubes will hold on better and will build up under the lifters when the engine starts to rotate (either at start up or when priming) and will then gradually continue feeding under the lifters as they rotate. Here is a pix of the thick moly lube from Crane and how it builds up in the driver's side lifters after a few engine rotations on the stand; the passenger side lifters build it up out of sight.
DSCN1760.JPG

Ya I am have the same problim with the crap comp stuff i got.The Joe gibbs stuff witch one to get there is 2 part number 723 or 728.

Last edited:
i use the comp cams white assembly lube paste . the stuff works great. that's all I use , never a problem

Ya I am have the same problim with the crap comp stuff i got.The Joe gibbs stuff witch one to get there is 2 part number 723 or 728.

I'm not sure about the part number but this is what you want
1474211250858-172260939.jpg

-
Back