Comp Cams/Delphi HFT lifters and the 'hardening line'.

-

Ben A...

Reaction score
Hey there,
I got a set of CC 822-16 lifters for my LA360.
They're still in the box and dry, but one of the lifters hardly compresses at all compared to the rest in the box -- it feels stuck. Given what I hear about HFT lifters these days, I'm a worried about this. I don't want to install them. I spoke to someone at Comp Cams today who didn't seem to think this lifter was a problem.

Anyway, I got to digging around and came across this video about Chevy lifters.

He talks about CC lifters being great (6min45sec), as well as Howards because they're both made by Delphi. He also talks about the his Chevy lifters having a line around the tip of the lifter that indicates it has a hardened tip. But my 822-16 lifters don't have that line, and I'm wondering if there are any small block Mopar lifters available that do?

Are these CC lifters for Mopar even made by Delphi?

So yea...
1 - Is my current lifter a problem?
2 - CC might have good lifters for Chevy engines, but what about Chrysler? I want that line for peace of mind!

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Delphi doesn’t make any flat tappet lifters for Mopars...... so they’re def not those.

I've seen lifters with the harder base material....some of my Opel (GM) engine lifters back-in-the-day were made like that. But IMHO that is just a design of construction, not one that is especially superior to other methods of construction; it just may be a hard base attached to a non-hardened body. So I think this is getting enamored of something that is not particularly special in the world of lifters.

Now the one lifter that is harder than the others may be an issue. But it also may be that it somehow has some oil in it and will not compress simply due to that. It is a simple matter to disassemble and examine the innerds.

-
Back