Comp, Lunati, Mopar?

-
I can tell you from my experience that the Mopar cams are not what they claim to be specs wise. The profiles are slow. As far as Comp, Lunati, Hughes, ect.... any of these guy's similar spec .904 lifter profile cams will give similar performance.

I'm the furthest thing from knowledgable on cams but since there's not much response I'll just comment that specs do not tell the entire story. There are different lobe profiles that can mean two cams with the same specs perform somewhat differently. I'll leave it for others to comment on how much that matters.

Of course there may be different metallurgy and hardening processes that can affect durability as well.

Many cam blanks are from the same foundry, metallurgy is one thing to consider but would not steer me away from a cam. I would go with someone who has the best support. Comp is very good, have the .904 profile lobes and can custom make you a grind in almost any lift or duration you can ask for and within limits of their blanks. Hughes is very knowledgeable on Mopars, MP is more often a miss than a hit. I spec'd an MP cam on a digital CNC and it was not accurate even between lobes. Lunati has the best lobe designer right now and his cams should work very well too. Might just come do who can get closest to the specs you want.

Some good advice is given here by all that have posted. I'll add that I've had real good luck with Luntai's. Given the same cam specs they seem to make more power than any other off the shelf cam for me. Another consideration who is tops in my book is Racer Brown. He grinds everything custom for your application and isn't too expensive. He has many profiles to choose from but unfortunately he has no website to look at so you have to call Jim at 410-866-7660 preferably in the afternoon/evening (4-9 eastern) when he's not too busy with your cars specs (weight, gear ratio, trans, etc) and he'll tell you what'll work best.

What are you running for heads? I have found that stock heads exhaust flows poorly so a lunati or comp duel lift duration cam balances out the poor exhaust flow. You want the exhaust to be close to 75% of the intake flow #s but in stock form they are closer to 60-65%. So therefor more lift and duration on the exhaust side will be benefited.

the only company that I know of that has a complete desktop dyno for cam applications is

camquest6 @ compcams.com

Thanks so much for the replies. As usual, what I was thinking would have been the wrong choice. I am planning having a 360 rebuilt with stock heads (a head/port job?) and noticed that Mancini offers combo packages with Comp cams which sparked this question. So Comp, Lunati, Hughes, and Racer Brown would be good. That is the way I'll go. I am printing these responses and putting them in a book, the info you folks gave me on heads, pistons, and all, adding this to the book, and got some ideas for having aluminum valve covers painted through Phoenix Specialty Coatings. Can't do this without your help so thanks.

I wouldn't count out MP purple shaft cams either if you run into what your looking for. I am running the MP hemi grind in my rebuilt 440 with a single plane and 750 vac sec and I love it. Has the sound and power I want for a street car. If you don't match your parts to the cam or tune right, it's not the cams fault you have a bad combination. Tons of the small block guys using the .484 lift cam, very popular along with the .509 cam for street/strip setups. I've already bought a purple shaft cam for the wifes small block rebuild too. I love the Comp website though, you can try different cams and look at the results with your setup to get the right cam.

I buy Comp and have always had good luck with them,I can not say the same about Hughes garbage.

Jim

I wouldn't count out MP purple shaft cams either if you run into what your looking for. I am running the MP hemi grind in my rebuilt 440 with a single plane and 750 vac sec and I love it. Has the sound and power I want for a street car. If you don't match your parts to the cam or tune right, it's not the cams fault you have a bad combination. Tons of the small block guys using the .484 lift cam, very popular along with the .509 cam for street/strip setups. I've already bought a purple shaft cam for the wifes small block rebuild too. I love the Comp website though, you can try different cams and look at the results with your setup to get the right cam.

It can go either way with Mopar perf. cams. I have a buddy with a 484/284 in his 440 and it runs great but I've also seen some with issues like Pista described. I also know a fellow that installed one and went to degree it in and it was 8 degrees off. Thought maybe it was a defective timing chain set so he tried a known good set and got the same result. Because of their inconsistancy I count them out. Just taking too much of a chance.. JMHO :D

Good advice.My choices,in order of preference:Lunati Voodoo,Comp XE,or HL series,D/C .484..

Haven't ever had a Lunati cam, but I have had a few experiences with Comp and have not one bad thing to say about them. Always talk to Arron Mick or Chris Ryan, their advice was spot on.

I grew up within a few miles of Comp,Lunati,Ultradyne,Lazer,Bullet,etc. It's funny how things change and guys work for one company them another,etc. I always(almost) use Bullet for my cams as the customer service is better than the others,but that comes with 30+ years of this stuff. Tim @ Bullet has been around for years and he will give you good advice and a high quality product which is not always the case with other companies.If we are talking flat tappets and more than a mild lobe the P55 cores are the best. Most shelf grinds are on standard cores which can lack some heat treat depth.

Crower did a similar thing,they called Pro 55 billet.Used one on a rat,cam looked really good,when pulled.Was running 150 psi on the seat,close to 400 on the nose.Looked great after 8 to 10,000 miles of Sat night street racing,in town driving.Was a 100 option,ij the early 90s.

... and got some ideas for having aluminum valve covers painted through Phoenix Specialty Coatings. Can't do this without your help so thanks.

I look forward to working with you whenever you're ready! Thanks for the mention ... but you know know right now that I'm not a painter. :-D

Lots of people scream old technology when it comes to Mopar cams, but in the RIGHT setup, they flat out work. Don't put a .509 into a 7.5 compression 360 with 2.76 gears and expect it to run well. Lots of cams work if the combo is right..

Had good luck with MP, Lunati, Crane and a couple of others. Comp never impressed me to much honestly.

On old technology...the cars are pushing 40+years old, so I'd say they are old technology as well lol. The Lunati Voodoo's have faster profile's which are more streetable and aggressive than yesterdays cams. Just something to think on..

I had a couple roller cams ground by Cam Motion. Very happy with the results on the dyno.

Just an interesting thing I've noticed - there always seems to be some negative comment about Comp, MP, Hughes in these threads, but I hardly ever hear someone trashing Lunati. Hhmmm.

Lunati just got into real Mopar cams. Give it time. Lol. Aren't MP cams based on stock type heads? Doesn't seem like they are compatible with today's technology. I'm no expert of course.

Lunati just got into real Mopar cams. Give it time. Lol. Aren't MP cams based on stock type heads? Doesn't seem like they are compatible with today's technology. I'm no expert of course.

Actually Lunati has been grinding real Mopar cams for a while. I bought a 60404 in 07 and it is a real fast rate cam ground for a .904 lifter.

Mopar grinds were agressive for their time and yes they were based on head flow,they knew a stock small block head was out of steam at .450.I believe they are a good grind for their intended application but the quality is not what it was.I have installed several and all were off from where thay should have been although all were easily corrected with a multi keyway timing chain.The best thing about modern fast ramp cams besides the higher lift is their ability to build cylinder pressure due to the advanced lobe design,you can have a rougher idle,top end horsepower and low end driveability all in one package.

-
Back