Competition series-625 CFM

-

Shane

Reaction score
So I was digging around boxes and milk crates of stuff that I got with my car, looking for a new E-brake handle that I knew I had seen in there.(the one on my car is busted)

I found it, but also found this carb at the bottom of a milk crate...

I am running a 600 cfm holley double pumer on a edlebrock LD340, on my stock 340 with a purple cam.

So I have it in my head now that I am going to rebuild this carb... for fun, for the experience, to see whats going on inside a carb..

Two questions...to start with..

is it something I can tackle myself with patience and a rebuild kit designed for this carb?

also, if I am sucessful in rebuilding it, would it work with my intake? and is there any pros/cons over the carb i got on the car?

thanks!

Shane

I tried to add pictures, but i exceed the limit by like 8kb????

The Carter carb is a very dependable carb that is great for everyday use no matter what the weather is. Easy to set up and tune, even easier to rebuild. Very simple in fact. You'll probably have to use a Edelbrock rebuild kit.

Pro's and Cons that I have found are;

The Carter seems to make more torque downstairs and less HP up top.
This difference is very minor.
While you can dial in these carbs very well, to change jets, if need be, does require not only the top ten cover screws, but very small c-clips that hold the side linkages on. This is a pain in the *** and super maddining when you loose one.
Though I like that it doesn't spill gas everywhere. A few drops when the top plate comes off at worst.

The Carters are not super duper adjustable like a Holley, and that's Holley dependent, but there also more forgiving in a slight out of tune state.

Basic tuning parts are the rod and jet kit that also come with springs. Then theres the pump shot clusters if you can't adjust the pumpshot by moving the arm in the pivot arm.

Thanks Rumblefish,

So I should get an edelbrock rebuild kit? and a carter rod and jet kit?

This carter will bolt up to the ld340 no problem?

Thanks Rumblefish,

So I should get an edelbrock rebuild kit? and a carter rod and jet kit?

This carter will bolt up to the ld340 no problem?

I would think so, that kit should work. The carb will bolt right up to the e ld340.

You cant find Carter jet kits any more. You will need to order one for an E-brock 600 or 650 carb.

Ah, I see...

thanks guys...

I will rebuild it with what it has, and if i need anything, I will get the edelbrock rods and jets for the 600-650...

Again, thanks

Shane!

-
Back