Composition vs. Embossed Steel Intake Gaskets

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My Felpro set has both. I have an aluminum intake and iron heads, if that matters.

The composition's are both the same.
One of the steel gaskets has a small hole at the exhaust crossover, instead of the full size opening. Other than that, they're the same.

Trying to decide which to use. Are the steel gaskets just for limiting exhaust crossover?

Don't use the steel gaskets.
You can use the others, blue ones right?
Though there are paper type gaskets for aluminum intake manifolds that work better for sealing. Have you checked that the manifold fits yet?

what size motor
on Big Blocks I've used both together
6 packs also had the paper gaskets to go with the shim
are your heads cut?
if so did you cut the manifold face
or butcher the manifold?
the comps are more forgiving if your build is not oem
edit there are also block off inserts available
some brands have two gaskets with heat blocked off and some one
and some with one hole and some two with one hole
go figure
I did a lot of truck and marine and the combinations drive you nuts

It's not OEM. I'm reassembling it (360) after taking it apart for inspection after I bought it. It ran good then. Manifold fits good. Sounds like the comp (yes, blue) are what I want.

It had "paper" when I took it apart. It's street/strip, so I'm not too worried about blocking the crossover.

The instructions only mention to use the "plastic retainers" for the fiber faced gaskets (what I called composition), in two of the bolt holes. They look like a vacuum leak waiting to happen. I'll just use a couple dabs of silicone to locate them.

I've never used metal
I've seldom and now never use the locating washers
I never use the front/ rear cross the valley gaskets. Bead 'o silicone

It's not OEM. I'm reassembling it (360) after taking it apart for inspection after I bought it. It ran good then. Manifold fits good. Sounds like the comp (yes, blue) are what I want.

It had "paper" when I took it apart. It's street/strip, so I'm not too worried about blocking the crossover.

The instructions only mention to use the "plastic retainers" for the fiber faced gaskets (what I called composition), in two of the bolt holes. They look like a vacuum leak waiting to happen. I'll just use a couple dabs of silicone to locate them.

Red locators, use'em they crush down fine , promise. Lol

Red locators, use'em they crush down fine , promise. Lol
I used a couple dabs of silicone. All good.

All I have left before install is polishing the ugly Edelbrock valve covers (runs better, lol), and rebuilding the Holley. (Well, I don't need that for install.) :)

It's going in my 74 Dart Sport cloned into a 70-71 Duster.

-
Back