Compressor relay switch

-

STR-14

I put the hoar in hoarder
Reaction score
I need some help here. I have been looking for months for a relay switch for my air compressor. All I have found so far is the complete starter, which is way more than I want to spend. I need a Siemens #48EH18A6S2 relay, or it's direct equivalent. This one is discontinued. I would prefer a new one, but would be happy with one that works. I am not an electrician, so I don't know what else I can do, other than replace the broken part. This is just my hobby, not a production shop, so it's not like it will get used up in a hurry. Any guidance, thoughts, directions, or idea's would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I used to work with motor starters and O/L's quite frequently (I'm a partial commercial HVAC service tech, and partial in-office paper pusher), and I still have to locate and purchase replacement parts for them every now and then, but I'm not an electrician, so take this with a grain of salt:

Looks to me like you have two options: Pop for a replacement O/L relay (there are still some new ones available online), or replace the entire motor starter. The former keeps you in "old" technology ("stuck in the 70's..."), while the latter may offer an "upgrade".

While neither option is inexpensive, this is a safety device you're talking about....

Of course if you happen to "know a guy...who knows a guy...who knows an electrician", you may be able to swing some sort a deal.

Good luck!

Last edited:
That part is obsolete. Radwell does have new old stock right now for $266. You may find one elsewhere too. Otherwise, I agree you will need to replace the complete starter with an equivalent unit.

I used to work with motor starters and O/L's quite frequently (I'm a partial commercial HVAC service tech, and partial in-office paper pusher), and I still have to locate and purchase replacement parts for them every now and then, but I'm not an electrician, so take this with a grain of salt:

Looks to me like you have two options: Pop for a replacement O/L relay (there are still some new ones available online), or replace the entire motor starter. The former keeps you in "old" technology ("stuck in the 70's..."), while the latter may offer an "upgrade".

While neither option is inexpensive, this is a safety device you're talking about....

Of course if you happen to "know a guy...who knows a guy...who knows an electrician", you may be able to swing some sort a deal.

Good luck!
Believe me, I have searched on line. I'm not lazy, and have sent out many, many emails, few of which were replied to. Radwell listed one, but doesn't actually have one, or I would have bought it. Replacing the starter is about $1000 CDN, and is a direct replacement, not really any sort up upgrade. I would really like to just buy the relay and move on. What I am hoping, is that someone can recommend an electrical supplier that I can reach out to. I'm not interested in cutting corners either.

It has been a LONG time since I've worked with any of these, and most (refrigeration, then) compressors I dealt with were small enough not to use them..........

But why cant you remount your starter in a large enough box "if needed" and then find and overload that can be mounted "to an aside" and wire it in? I gather that the problem is finding one which physically fits.

The literal "think outside the box" LOL

Just a quik stab, along these lines?

-
Back