Computer Question

-

Boony405hp

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking at a brand new 05 onwards suited hemi, brand new with accessories etc on ebay atm. Need to get a computer and accelerator pedal for it as well as the aftermarket wiring harness, but in regards to the factory computer - what is the procedure for getting it to work.

Do I buy one of these Diablo predator units http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Diablosport-Predator-2005-2010-Dodge-HEMI-U7135_W0QQitemZ370345161336QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item563a4ab278#ht_3689wt_939 , hook that up to the factory computer, and contact someone like S&P and purchase a tune file for the diablo and simply connect it and run it?

Stock computer will get you up and running. Now if you want/need more power, then the Diablo will come into play. S&P will have what you need, wiring harness and pedal.

Stock computer will get you up and running. Now if you want/need more power, then the Diablo will come into play. S&P will have what you need, wiring harness and pedal.

I thought that you needed to reflash the computer to get it up and running. I'll be running stock for a while as its a big power improvement on what I currently have.

Hooking a 6spd t56 up to it as well.

Whoever said that is full of ****. The stock tune in the computer will run just fine. There are a few exceptions, going from an auotmatic to a stick....reflash, vise versa, a new computer that is "blank", just to pick a few off the top of my head. Use the stock setup for now and when funds or the horsepower bug gets to ya, then go for a custom tune.

I thought that you needed to reflash the computer to get it up and running. I'll be running stock for a while as its a big power improvement on what I currently have.

Hooking a 6spd t56 up to it as well.

I rewired my harness and got mine running on the stock computer. I'm not far enough along to take it on the road yet to see if there are any trans or other issues though. If it has the SKIM (security) I think you have to have it reflashed. I am still undecided on if I should get a predator with a custom tune to disable the rear O2 sensors so I don't have to run cats. If I do that I will likely get a different cam as well to make it more worthwhile.

Right you have to reflash to remove the skim code to get it to work. It also makes a ton of sense to settup to use a diablo predator for tuning as who doing this wants to be married to a stock engine.

i recently talked in person with hot wire,,they do not supply S&P wiring any longer,,different topic,,,

they told me if runing a non computer trans,the 5.7 comuter will have to be re configured to run the engine with out seeing the trans,,

if the computer has security key,(, not a alarm),,they have not been able to crack that code or convert it yet,,but they are working on it,

seems the more i read on this topic,,the more confusing it gets,,no one seems to know or tell all,,, i want to do a 5.7 completely stock motor swap in to my street rod,,but seems the simpelest way is using a complete donor vehicle,,but those truck trannys ive heard are giant in size,

i recently talked in person with hot wire,,they do not supply S&P wiring any longer,,different topic,,,

they told me if runing a non computer trans,the 5.7 comuter will have to be re configured to run the engine with out seeing the trans,,

if the computer has security key,(, not a alarm),,they have not been able to crack that code or convert it yet,,but they are working on it,

seems the more i read on this topic,,the more confusing it gets,,no one seems to know or tell all,,, i want to do a 5.7 completely stock motor swap in to my street rod,,but seems the simpelest way is using a complete donor vehicle,,but those truck trannys ive heard are giant in size,
The 545 is a large trans, but if you are not building something that is super low ( like me ) it should not be much of an issue, just some tunnel massaging might be necessary. I think it is worth it just for the fact that you can tune the motor and trans with a Diablo, plus have 2 overdrives to really cruise on the highway and get some fuel economy. Just my 2 cents.

tin cup i agree, it may be the best deal using all the factory componets,,i know the car trans is harder to make work in a swap,,,but havent seen just how big the truck auto is in size,compared to a 904 that is currently in my 40 dodge,,,

tin cup i agree, it may be the best deal using all the factory componets,,i know the car trans is harder to make work in a swap,,,but havent seen just how big the truck auto is in size,compared to a 904 that is currently in my 40 dodge,,,
I dont have a 904 for comparison, but if you need some pic's and measurements, just let me know....

That trans is WAY bigger than a 904. It's way bigger than a 727. You would probaby have to stretch the tunnel. How much room is there?? The smallest OD trans that would be close to the same size as a 904 would be an A500 and it most likely won't work with the electronics.

tin cup pics would be kool but dont go to any trouble,,,,

the car is in storage at the moment,,but im sure ide have to open the tunnel for that trans,,

i wish i had taken a pic of the 545 next to a 727 that i have. i sold the trans a while ago so i cant get a pic for you. but the 727 looks like a toy next to the 545. there have been a few truck guys out there that have removed the trans wireing from the trans and ran an aftermarket controller, and the motor runs just fine (so im told) so you would not have to reconfigure the PCM per se, but you will have trans codes since it cant find the trans. I will let you know how it works out once i get my motor and 727 installed and up and driving. but it could be a year or so before i get to that point.

The trans is definately bulky. Street and Performance has a picture of the trans with dimensions http://www.hotrodlane.cc/HEMI/57hemimeasurements.htm

I had to widen my tunnel about 5 inches and lengthen the hump quite a bit as well to make the 545RFE fit in my duster. It also required creating a custom mount.

tunnel.JPG

tunnel width.JPG

trans mount.JPG

wow nice pics that looks huge,,,ill have to check the floor of my street rod,,,is that a 4 or 5 speed?? thanks

The Diablo software can turn off the transmission and let you run a 727 or a stick or whatever. You would need to buy the handheld, and then pay somebody with the CMR software to write you a custom tune file w/ the trans controls disabled (or spend $2500 on your own license for the CMR software, your choice).

wow nice pics that looks huge,,,ill have to check the floor of my street rod,,,is that a 4 or 5 speed?? thanks

They call it a 5 speed, but it actually uses 6 drive ratios.
If I understand it correctly the 2nd Prime is used for downshifts when passing, but is skipped on upshifts. The 45RFE and 545RFE are physically the same, but the electronics allow it to use the extra overdrive in the 545RFE.

Gear Ratios:
  • 1st 3.00:1
  • 2nd 1.67:1
  • 2nd Prime 1.50:1
  • 3rd 1.00:1
  • 4th 0.75:1
  • Reverse 3.00:1
545RFE only:
  • 5th 0.67:1

That trans is WAY bigger than a 904. It's way bigger than a 727. You would probaby have to stretch the tunnel. How much room is there?? The smallest OD trans that would be close to the same size as a 904 would be an A500 and it most likely won't work with the electronics.

If you want to see how big the 545 is look at the picture. And, it's going to require a new crossmember from subframe to subframe

I have run an 04 and 05 in mine out of a truck and a duranago with no problem picked up a diable trinity on craigslist and it works fine on both. can get you an 05 no tune needed just call a junk yard and get the vin and call a dealership with the number and they can tell you if it has anti theft that is all the flash is for

-
Back