Computer Virus

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Anyone heard about that worm thats going around. I hear it's a big problem and a lot of computers have it. I guess it's dorment and just waiting for instructions. I seen the story on 60 minutes and it is kinda scarry. The hackers are people in Russia and they can access all your private info with your passwords. Several people have had their bank accounts raided.
What kind of protections do you have? The anti virus program and firewall arn't stoping it.

Is that story on this weeks 60 Minutes?

Did they say how you get this virus?

The virus being talked about is "conficker" and is a worm that showed up in the fall of last year. It's supposed to remain dormant till April 1, in 2 days, so if you've got an up todate virus system working on your computer you should be fine.
I'm using Norton internet Security for Viruses and Firewall and Webroot Spy Sweeper for adware/spyware. Webroot is constantly picking off spyware tracking cookies and homepage hyjackers on site's you'd think were safe. Hell it even picks off a tracking cookie that is built into a news site I go to for local news and weather. I even e-mailed the sites I.T. geeks and asked why they were using this cookie and their answer was to track people's internet preferences. I called them a bunch of ignorant assholes then sent the e-mail to the director of the news organization and CRTC (Canada's regulatory agency). We'll see what happens.

Terry

Tracking cookies aren't really bad, especially once you realize that every site you visit has your IP address, which is unique to your computer.

Tracking cookies aren't really bad, especially once you realize that every site you visit has your IP address, which is unique to your computer.

Yea I understand that cookies that just look to see who comes on their site are normal but tracking cookies that try following an IP address around the internet to see where else you're going are an infringement on your rights to privacy, at least up here they are.

Terry

Depends on your ISP. Most will cycle through a block of addresses, so your IP might actually change every few hours. Also depends on your home network setup. All anyone gets off my machines at home is my frontend router address, which cycles every 6 hours.

-
Back