Concealed Carry Class, Just Got Back

-
Back in the day (80's) they sucked. Taurus has come a long, long way since. Here's what I have:

650B.jpg

looks like a 605, minus the hammer. thing is a bear to shoot, until you figure it out. this is what i sometimes carry, except in the 40...

pm40.jpg

Yep! 605 minus the hammer. It's called the 650 CIA... :) Not really all that bad but my hands handle it like a palm gun. No flinch now that I'm used to it and it really shoots quite well with the right ammo. No bruises, no pinched thumb web, and no bloody trigger finger. :) Plus I've got .357 magnum power and a muzzle flash that would blind the sun, lol.

My friend here in CO with a CCW carries a Kahr in 9mm and he loves it. He wears a "small of back holster" and I never knew he was carrying until it came up one day in conversation and he produced it. I haven't shot with him yet, so we'll see....

Edit: That's actually a case hardened trigger on the Taurus, it's not a trick photo.

The Big Old Dude ( I capitilize that because he was BIG!!! lol.. ) had a Ruger LCR in 38 spl. +P and he liked the Taurus better. That Ruger (and I love Rugers) felt like a dang squirt gun.

very cool, my next....and probably last, as I will keep it.....will be a ruger .357 revolver. I love revolvers, nice to not worry about a jam. I have looked into Taurus, but haven't heard much about them....pretty solid?

BTW, the Ruger SP101 is a truly tough and great weapon. If I had my choice at the time, I would have bought the Ruger. I bought a SP101 for my second X. It was fun as hell to shoot with .38 specials and kicked like a mule with .357's but Lord help the looser on the other side...

EDIT: I just came to mind in that she used that revolver to kill a rattler that was going to kill her kid after she dumped me and married some SO CO loser, but that's another story, lol!

the PM9 is pretty mild. the 40, with its snappy recoil makes the thing interesting. few of my old shooting buddies have fired it, they all said it was an acquired taste type of thing. ever fire an unported, 4" titanium 44 Mag with handload 300's in it? now that is fun......

Well, that ought to at least slow them down right there! Go ahead, let 'em live like that for the rest of their lives.

At least I'd keep them from reproducing..... :read2:..... unfortunately at my attornie's profit. The instructor said that killing the offender was cheaper in the long run........

Large billboards should posted at the border of every "Right to Carry" state.
"If you violate the freedom of any law abiding person in this state, you will be executed without prejudice". :) Saves a lot of time and money.

the PM9 is pretty mild. the 40, with its snappy recoil makes the thing interesting. few of my old shooting buddies have fired it, they all said it was an acquired taste type of thing. ever fire an unported, 4" titanium 44 Mag with handload 300's in it? now that is fun......

I had a Glock model 23 and loved it. :) This Taurus was nothing really and my first two shots were way low in anticipation of kick.

I loved handloading for my Ruger Bisley and Vaqeuro in .45LC with Hornady 300 grain XTP's. They were damn near .454 Casull loads and the Rugers never showed any pressure signs.

On that note, I wish someone would design a compact 5 shot .45LC DA revolver in a 3" barrel.... That would be a manstopper!

BTW, my Redhawk and Anaconda were never ported. It was what it was. The 7 1/2" Redhawk I owned was for deer and the 4" Colt Anaconda was for under my pillow here in the mountains when camping. :)

From what I have observed about you on this site, you posess the necessary qualities and character to carry a firearm. Thank you for taking on the responsibility, it's not something many are cut out for.

From what I have observed about you on this site, you posess the necessary qualities and character to carry a firearm. Thank you for taking on the responsibility, it's not something many are cut out for.

goldfish, thank you so much for your validation and the responsiblity is very heavy.... As so pressed by my teachers of life over the years and my last present instructor, the responsibility is ultimately all mine and is not something to be taken lightly. It is not a sword to be wielded and swung at will but a broadsword to be used... Not in his words but mine, "in God's Will". So be it and I ask for His guidance. Please all pray for me that I never have to use this against men and only against beast for food. Amen.

BTW Ink, this my rig that I carried in the mountains on my land with my handloads. I sold the Anaconda for 600 bucks and I'm still kicking my own butt over that..

IMG_1123.JPG

My everyday carry is a Ruger sp101 in .357 Mag. Nice and compact, its also Magna ported. When I went thru the CCW class our instructor told us that if you have to shoot someone, double tap them. You'll run into more problems if the person lives. Hopefully I'll never have to find out.

On that note, I wish someone would design a compact 5 shot .45LC DA revolver in a 3" barrel.... That would be a manstopper!

QUOTE]

Taurus made a titanium carry revolver in 45 Colt and 44 special at one time. Both were 2 inch, ported barrels and had special ribbed grips for handling recoil. I'm sure that some are out there for sale. Wish I'd bought one when they came out.

BTW Ink, this my rig that I carried in the mountains on my land with my handloads. I sold the Anaconda for 600 bucks and I'm still kicking my own butt over that..
now that i know you sold an Anaconda for $600 I don't like you anymore:toothy10::toothy10:....what in the world were you thinking? one of my old shooting buddies has one, i want one very badly. i do have a S&W Performance Center 629 44 Magnum, I do not remember exactly what was done to it besides some trigger work. but it is wasy more consistent than I will ever be. my Anaconda buddy is a shooter, he was able to empty the cylinder of my 44 at 30 yards and cover it with a quarter, and that was just using my plinking rounds...i have not fired my hand cannon yet, a S&W 500 Magnum. MAybe when my wife comes back from vacation I will go get a box of ammo and pull the trigger, at like $3 around.......i really do need to get my reloading press set up some time soon.....

swpc629 (640x427).jpg

My everyday carry is a Ruger sp101 in .357 Mag. Nice and compact, its also Magna ported. When I went thru the CCW class our instructor told us that if you have to shoot someone, double tap them. You'll run into more problems if the person lives. Hopefully I'll never have to find out.

I would have bought a 101 if one was availible. Everyone seemed to be out of stock. I bought one of those for my ex finace and she saved her kid from a rattler with it. :) It was a nice a little shooter.

Aha! That's what I want!

now that i know you sold an Anaconda for $600 I don't like you anymore:toothy10::toothy10:....what in the world were you thinking? one of my old shooting buddies has one, i want one very badly. i do have a S&W Performance Center 629 44 Magnum, I do not remember exactly what was done to it besides some trigger work. but it is wasy more consistent than I will ever be. my Anaconda buddy is a shooter, he was able to empty the cylinder of my 44 at 30 yards and cover it with a quarter, and that was just using my plinking rounds...i have not fired my hand cannon yet, a S&W 500 Magnum. MAybe when my wife comes back from vacation I will go get a box of ammo and pull the trigger, at like $3 around.......i really do need to get my reloading press set up some time soon.....

I was desperate for money. It had the 4" barrel and was perfect for hiking in bear/cougar country and camping. Yes, I'm still kicking myself in the butt for that. Great trigger pull with zero gunsmithing and far more accurate than I. It didn't like hot handloads like my Rugers did though. It was happiest with stock style .44 mag handloads.

I would have bought a 101 if one was availible. Everyone seemed to be out of stock. I bought one of those for my ex finace and she saved her kid from a rattler with it. :) It was a nice a little shooter.

Aha! That's what I want!

I was desperate for money. It had the 4" barrel and was perfect for hiking in bear/cougar country and camping. Yes, I'm still kicking myself in the butt for that. Great trigger pull with zero gunsmithing and far more accurate than I. It didn't like hot handloads like my Rugers did though. It was happiest with stock style .44 mag handloads.
my buddies Anaconda liked everything we threw at it. jack the loads up as hot as you could, it did not care. this is my S&W 329PD, it is a titanium 44 Magnum, no porting with a 4" barrel. Only weighs 26 oz empty.

IMG_2365.jpg

For those with a CCW license here is a pretty good book. It is a summary of CCW laws by State.

http://www.gunlaws.com/travel.htm
that is a good book. as a gun lover, i think AZ and its new law, any legal citizen of the US can carry concealed, or however it is worded, is a good thing. hopefully more states will follow. i am going to look into getting the Utah permit, they have an non-resident deal of some sorts, and it allows concealed carrying in quite a few states....

my buddies Anaconda liked everything we threw at it. jack the loads up as hot as you could, it did not care. this is my S&W 329PD, it is a titanium 44 Magnum, no porting with a 4" barrel. Only weighs 26 oz empty.

Very nice!

Joe,

Did you get your permit? You shoot .357 magnums thru that thing? Doesn't it want to kick your hand back and crack you in the face??? LOL

Believe it or not, the recoil is nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. :-D. The fireball that barfs out that small barrel is a sight to behold too, lol.

Still waiting on the permit. It takes about 90 days or so.

I guess it was good that Alabama doesnt make you attend concealed weapons classes to get your license. haha

-
Back