cone / clutch

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
hi guys, trying to get a 8 3/4 sure grip pig for my satellite, is tough . however there is a guy who is a mopar nut that has a 8 3/4 with 355 gear 489 case, all rebuild but is cone sure grip.nevr had a cone, should i say away from the cone.thoughts please.

S8870002.JPG

They make less noise around turns. If the car was Highway driven it would have less wear. If its wore it can be reconditioned one time. Stick two axles in the carrier. Hold one side with a bar and spin the other with a bar. Or tires and wheels if in the car. If there is little resistance it needs to be reground and spacers added behind the springs. This can only be done once with good results but will last a long time. Turns and two different size tires destroys sure-grips. Cones are OK for street tires.

Depends on how much he wants for it. I rebuilt the cone diff in my 68 Dart, and it's been working flawlessly for 6-ish years. If it's cheap, snag it!

A little more cash and you can get a complete Dana. Unless Canadian money is only half the U.S. value.

Thats about $725 usd. About 150-200 more than i would pay for a cone, unless it had the exact gear ratio i wanted.
Would pay that for a fresh clutch style, or locker.

That's a lot of money for a used third member, clutch or cone. I'd pass and keep lookin.

well i have found a shop in B.C CANADA called dropouts & pinion for a 489 case with 323 gear sure grip ready for this 1,900 Canadian ouch.

-
Back