confused about this sure-grip

-

soaringcowman

Reaction score
ok so i'm looking into a 8 3/4 rear end to buy. it's suppose to have a sure-grip unit with 4.10's. when he was loading it up to meet up with me he rotated the drums....they spin opposite. so he says he was gonna pull the center section to check it all out since he bought it like this and don't know anything about it. him and his dad pull it and call back saying it is in fact a sure grip unit. he said it did seem like it was a little full on fluid... so what other ways are there to test if this is in fact a sure grip unit? or should it spin opposite with no load on it at all?

thanks all

adam

If the wheels spun opposite directions it's either an open or a totally smoked sure grip. Sure grips spin the opposite side tire the same direction as the one turned when good.

Have them send you a picture of the carrier, backside so you can clearly see the ring gear. It's very easy to identify either style sure grip.

Sorry, but, the story doesn't seem to add up at this point

yeah same here, i'll ask for pictures and post them up on here to see what you guys think....thanks

well i just called him, and he said he would shoot me a few pics of it tomorrow, he said it was a clutch style, and that the 4.10's look fairly new since they still had majority of the paint on them and looked to be wearing evenly

I believe I saw that one on the KC Craigslist for $500.
Called about it and the guy was very vague, didn't really act like he wanted to go into detail about it and got annoyed when I asked about pics of the bolt pattern.
Asked him if the price was firm and he got real defensive.

If I'm going to drive 4 hours to look at a rear end, I sure want some sort of idea what I'm getting into.

Mark.

yup it's the same guy, he doesn't want "strangers" meeting at his house. i called him back asking for pics and he did get defensive. just don't make sense to me

well let me ask this guys, is a 8 3/4 with 4.10's complete from drum to drum, no shock plates and no hard line brake line. is this worth $500 if it's not a sure-grip unit?

Before answering, there seems to be some info missing. Is this an original A-body rearend or is it a b-body rear? What case does it have? Is there any paperwork that goes with it?

I think if it is all in good shape (and useable as is), that it is a fair price or just slightly on the high side of fair. Are the brakes/drums all original? What bolt pattern?

I'd offer the guy $400.00 if it is indeed an A body housing, complete with brakes and no SG unit. If it is indeed a SG unit, then $500 is a good price. One question, did he spin the passenger side axle in forward motion when he checked the SG? To me the only way to accurately make sure is to see a pic. If he doesn't provide one, it's not a SG. My offer would stand at $400 if it's not or he doesn't send a pic confirming it. It's gotta have all of the brake components at that price though, and the shock plates too. Good luck, Geof

Hmmm clutch style sure grip in a 489? It could be if someone
changed the sure grip unit out I guess. I would definatley
take a look at this one before I bought it.

So the guy doesn't really know what he has but knows the
wear pattern looks great Interesting also....

Hmmm clutch style sure grip in a 489? It could be if someone
changed the sure grip unit out I guess. I would definatley
take a look at this one before I bought it.

So the guy doesn't really know what he has but knows the
wear pattern looks great Interesting also....

Mopar did put the clutch suregrips in the 489 cases in early to mid 69. This was the transfer period where Mopar was using up left over parts and sticking them in the new 489 case. Late 69 completed the transfer and the 489 and cone-style suregrips were merged and ready to go until the 8.75's demise in 74.

I,ve got a .489 center that,s an open with 2.76.It,s out of a C-body,so it sounds like it,s a one legger?

If there's no friction connecting the wheels now, how can there be under load? Even worn SG units will turn the tires in the same direction by hand.

yup it's the same guy, he doesn't want "strangers" meeting at his house. i called him back asking for pics and he did get defensive. just don't make sense to me

How does he intend to sell it if he doesn't want people at his house? Will he meet you somewhere? Will he unbolt the center section? I will meet him somewhere this week to look, if it is KC

Personally, if this guy had been receptive to an offer of $400 for it, and he hadn't been such an *** on the phone, whether it had a suregrip or not, it would be in my possession at this moment.

I've had several clutch type suregrips that did the weak clutch reverse rotation thing when off the ground, and surprisingly, they actually still worked decent on pavement.
If you understand how the power lock's ramp/clutch design works, it's possible to lock up even the most worn out clutches with the design.

BUT it's supposedly rebuilt, so why are they weak at all?

Likely he doesn't want to meet at his house because he's scared someone will come pounding on his door if/when they feel they got taken on the deal.

Mark.

Personally, if this guy had been receptive to an offer of $400 for it, and he hadn't been such an *** on the phone, whether it had a suregrip or not, it would be in my possession at this moment.

I've had several clutch type suregrips that did the weak clutch reverse rotation thing when off the ground, and surprisingly, they actually still worked decent on pavement.
If you understand how the power lock's ramp/clutch design works, it's possible to lock up even the most worn out clutches with the design.

BUT it's supposedly rebuilt, so why are they weak at all?

Likely he doesn't want to meet at his house because he's scared someone will come pounding on his door if/when they feel they got taken on the deal.

Mark.
i think its pretty shady..

He sounds like a crook by the description of how he's acting.

BTW: He says the gears look new because they still have most of the paint on them????????? I've have never seen gears painted. Anybody else here see painted gears?

so he just sent me these pics....

DSC01362.jpg

DSC01363.jpg

DSC01365.jpg

DSC01366.jpg

he says after he reassembled it i guess it's working more properly now theres not as much fluid in it, i guess when he opened it fluid was just gushing out...

-
Back