Confused on specs

-

kdog

Reaction score
I just put a crate motor in and noticed the shop manual calls for .010 for the intake and .020 for the exhaust but my packing info said to set at .010 and .012 thinking of setting them at .013& .015 prior to starting the engine up for the first time don't want to hurt any thing after things warm up any in put would help Donnie

Well I'd check with the supplier. Maybe it's a "different" cam?

As always, tho, it'd be helpful if you told us what you are working on?

'64 425 hp 409? You won't be setting THAT at those lash numbers!!

409.jpg

I am working on a 225 that's .060 over nothing real exotic it's a 68 cuda convertable the bad part is someone put a 383 in it and made a muscle car out of it so I been putting it back to what it was ordered from factory Donnie

Ok, my point? Slants HAVE changed over the years, going to hydraulic lifters at some point, and "we" seem to have no idea what cam might be in that engine. Seems to me the only way you will figure this out is either go back to whoever supplied the cam, or allow "plenty" of clearance rather than less.

I just put a crate motor in and noticed the shop manual calls for .010 for the intake and .020 for the exhaust but my packing info said to set at .010 and .012 thinking of setting them at .013& .015 prior to starting the engine up for the first time don't want to hurt any thing after things warm up any in put would help Donnie

Ok, my point? "we" seem to have no idea what cam might be in that engine. Seems to me the only way you will figure this out is either go back to whoever supplied the cam, or allow "plenty" of clearance rather than less.

This ^^^^^

Here's a list of re-ground cams from Oregon Cam and valve settings are all over the place:
https://app.box.com/s/a00t8svaib0jqevitapq

You can;t go too wrong by running a little too much lash. You can go wrong by not running enough. I like .010 and .010 on the stock cam solid tappet slants but I would probably use .015/.015 as a "first start" setting. Once the cam's been broken in and it's been heat cycled a few times, then warm it up and reset the lash.

Shouldda left it a 383.

yes .010 and .020 for a stock slant is correct. {for most}. You dont want to have the valves tight on a slant, it will idle like crap with valves too tight. A little loose is better.

-
Back