console carpet/side trim

-

burdar

Owen's Dad
Reaction score
When I bought my 68 Dart, the carpet had already been removed from the floor and the console. I'm fitting an aftermarket shifter in the car right now. I noticed that the console sits pretty high off the floor.

I know there was carpet on the sides of the console but is that it? Did the carpet just attach at the top and hang down unsupported? Or, was there some kind of hard backer for support? I seem to remember a post that showed something extra on a 4-speed console...this is an auto.

The carpet was glued to the console.

The piece you mentioned for the 4-Speed Console was to clear the shifter that sticks up through the 4-speed hump

On my '74 Duster, I mounted the console flush to the floor, and didn't install a 4-Speed Hump when I converted to a 4-Speed. A much better fit, in my opinion. Less of a gap to fill with the carpet, no massive 4-speed hump sticking out.

It just seems like there is a large gap on the front drivers side. The carpet just hangs down loose?

Been a while since I had carpet on the consoles in any of my cars, but I seem to recall the factory carpet that attached to the console was pretty rigid and formed to the shape of the console & floor so that it didn't appear loose.

OK, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something there.

Is this the gap you're talking about? The notch/opening in the side of the console? Carpet covers that notch/gap too

Been a while since I had an Auto in most of my A-Bodies with a Console (except my '73 Dart Sport and my '73 Duster, but the '73 Duster has a Challenger Console in it). But I'm pretty sure that notch was there to clear part of the automatic floor shifter.

Don't mind the hole in the floor on my car, or the fact that the transmission is tilted. There's no engine in the car and I never finished the 4-Speed conversion. Ran out of money, LOL.

I'll get a picture of it. It looks like a big gap to take up with just carpet. I didn't know if there was a cardboard backer that was torn out with the carpet.

The proper piece of carpet is cut in such a way that it hangs and lays there without issues. You could add Velcro under it if you wanted.

-
Back