Console inlay colors besides woodgrain.

-

Ol'forest

Reaction score
Does any one know what different color console inlay decals where offered on a-bodies? I've only seen orange red or the wood grain, did the factory put out black? I know you can buy aftermarket carbon fiber look inlays and the wood, but haven't seen any others available.

Funny, I was just thinking about that today. I wish someone would make them in black or silver. Not real crazy about the woodgrain or carbon fiber myself.

Maybe get a hold of DMT Technologies. I know he was offering the carbon fiber, but you may be able to ask him to cut you something else.

Probably not too hard to cut something out myself, I might try that, as to me it looks funny with the console being the only wood in my car.

I'd like to see what you do Scamper, are you thinking just a plain black vinyl, or some kind of texture finish? I'm thinking something with the same grain as my upholstery.

Actually, I did paint the top in wrinkle black right after I got the car. Great minds think alike huh, LOL. I left the lip in chrome, which was still in decent shape. The rest not so much. Didn't look too hateful. Definitely better than pitted chrome. I'm not sure if I have any pics but I'll look around. The guy at the chrome shop told me that stuff is hard as heck. It is pretty tough but it's also brittle. I had a few places chip on me before I tore the car apart. Not sure I'd want to do that to a fresh piece as repairing it would be a real chore. I was thinking about a matte silver finish, similar to the pre-70 style. Maybe even putting a black line up the middle too. I guess I could always paint it too, but I'm not sure what paint would hold up on the chrome. I really prefer the pre-70 plate, but they are really hard to find, at least for me anyway.

Talked to the DTM guys and they do have other options that they don't normally list, including a plain black, which I will get if I like the look, and they are the same price as the wood grain.:cheers:

This is DMT's carbon fiber vinyl, doesn't quite show it exactly as it is in real life but close. I will show you the black vinyl when they send me a photo. But the black vinyl is a very heavy grain, I hear almost like gator grain.
Looking at the carbon fiber though, I think it would look quite good in the black interior I have planned, especially since I would like to do a basket weave insert on the seats.

photo2.JPG

Thanks for the update! Nice looking material, looks pretty heavy. Not much of a carbon fiber guy myself, but it does look like quality stuff. BTW, did you happen to ask about any other color options besides the black vinyl? Sorry I didn't reply sooner, had shoulder surgery last week. Typing with one hand now, LOL.
A little off topic, but has anyone covered a console in vinyl, not the top plate, but the housing itself. mine has some minor damage, kinda has pits on the passenger side. I'm not really happy with it. It sort of stands out now that it's been repainted. I'm not sure how visible it will be when everything is in, but anyway, I was thinking about covering it to match the seat covers. Sound hokey or do you guys think it would look alright? Do you think it's even doable?

Hi Scamper, I'm still waiting to get a shot of the black vinyl, but it sounds like he only has 3 options. Wood, carbon, and grainy.
My console needs a tidy too, ( a few chips and scratches) but I think I can fix mine with a few dabs of black polyester resin.
If your console body is too messed up, I'd suggest getting it vacuum covered with vinyl, like the dash repair guys do, it should work out nicely.

Dang, I was hoping for some other options. I might just go with the black vinyl look. Hopefully it's close to the seat vinyl grain. I'm going to take my console to the guy that's doing my seats. The foams were in really bad shape, no way I could have done them myself. Anyway, as soon as I'm able to drive, I'm going to drop it off so he can look at it. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the info, let us know how yours turns out.

Finally here's a picture of the grainy vinyl.
Looks like the same grain as my sunvisors, so I think thats the best option for me, and should be a good one for you too scamper. :cheers:

imagesmallvin.jpg

Oh yeah, I'm liking that! At first I wasn't too sure, but after seeing it, that's what I'm going with. Thanks again for the detective work!
A little off topic, but has anyone painted their shifter knob? I have a decent woodgrain knob. Chrome is great but the woodgrain is worn off. I was wondering if paint would take to it, or would it just flake off?

There are black factory knobs, I know alot of the Ozzie cars had them, I will look and see if I still have one, I'm using a promatic, with a chrome ball with my console.

Got the black vinyl decal in the mail the other day, super quick service, seeing he cut it out specially in the plain black, and shipped here to New Zealand for cheaper than the ebay price. Hope the close up shows the grain. And Scamper I have been looking for one of those black knobs, but no luck yet, I will keep looking but possibly somebody has taken them. Might even pay to put a posting out to the Ozzies and Kiwis on here for one, postage to USA from here should run less than $8 airmail for something small like that.

P8140014ii.JPG

P8140016ii.JPG

Wow, that looks really good! Thanks for looking for the shifter knob. No worries, I'm going to try and paint mine with Krylon Fusion paint, and see how it holds up for now. Been spending money like it's cool lately, trying to make some progress on the Scamp. Thanks for the pics, make sure you post some of the finished product!

-
Back