Console mounted Cheetah?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
My 67 is a console car, but it's out and has been. The floor brackets are still there. I do have a second console, not that nice, which I would not mind chopping if necessary.

Just about have the guts to grind the brackets off the floor if I have to

Anybody adapted a Cheetah shifter into a console?

I mounted a Cheetah shifter to the console in my 67 fastback, even moved it rearward for easier access.

Not mine, thinking of doing the same though.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qQsmLmExT8"]Turbo Action Cheetah Shifter Mopar Dart Duster Demon Factory console - YouTube[/ame]

duplicate

Attachments

• image.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 284
  • photo.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 257
I put a quarter stick in the factory spot for mine, not a cheetah, but I would assume the basics are similar...

the first thing I did was take the top off the front half of the console. I then put the console in the car in the factory location, I took measurements of the opening in the top to make a tape guide for shifter mvmt (with the tape as a guide for front/back travel)

1st PIC gives a idea what I did...

I then used redneck math, guesswork, and hope to figure out at what level (height) I would need to mount the shifter beneath the console to hide the shifter mech, and have my shifter rod travel the same distance as, or close to, stock. Remember the top is recessed. I plan to cut my top open to the width necessary, and trim it out with some small channel groved stuff like the use for tile edges on walls

To make mounting it easy once I figured my height I just cut (i Know) off the factory mount flat, and welded a piece of flat steel on top for a solid base. Then set the shifter on the base, replace your taped console to check shiter mvmt against your opening, and drill/mount...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 325
I did in my demon street strip car and loved it. It put it at the perfect height and distance when strapped into the car for racing or when just cruising around. It worked great. Go for it! Its actually one of the few things I saved out the car for a future build.

RE: the video. I'm not sure that I'll be able to reach forward. that far. I have a pro stick in it now, on a strap mounted on top of the original bracket but I moved it back some.

Well, guess I just need to get the darn thing "in there" and wiggle it around.

LOL. Still have not figured out what to do. Since the console bracket is going to have to "come off" I might just decide to "deconsole" the car. One thing I'm convinced of----the stock cutout is way too far forward for me, meaning the console top will have to be redone.

Del, this is how I had that shifter mounted in my car, a very solid mount. worked flawlessly.

I made a piece of angle using a 3/16 x 1 inch flat stock bar.

rear mount

front mount

Yeh, I was originally hoping to put it in the console. The more I look at things, "may not." The way things happen (in slow motion) around here, might be 'next year' before this gets done.

..................I did just get off Jegs, ordered the reverse pattern gate for 43 bucks

Hell I don't even have front carpets in the car, because the window seals leak

The plan "this winter" is the neighbor is going to paint the car, hopefully will fix the front/ rear glass

-
Back