console paint

-

knahavasu

Reaction score
fixing/painting the console for the wife's 67 Dart Vert. how do you restore/duplicate the grain pattern ??

thanks

I assume you mean the "faux leathergrain" of the console housing itself, and not the tops (the woodgrain appliques didn't get used until 1969, '66-'68 were chrome/argent).
If you've done extensive repair work to the console with lots of smooth areas now, the best bet to get some texture back into the surface would be wrinkle paint. I wouldn't use the VHT stuff on this, though- it produces a pretty aggressive wrinkle. Harley Davidson has a black wrinkle paint with a much more subdued wrinkle which may approximate the original texture a little more closely. Let it cure completely and then paint over it in whatever finish color you're using.

For the black part of the console, I used Rust-Oleum Hammered Black paint.

Here’s mine from like 4 years ago and still going strong.

B153BBBA-2D08-42A0-BEE5-C6403E3B7441.jpeg

37C92F82-27A7-46B8-A241-601C716BDCE5.jpeg

543E1E9B-F54C-4D38-9B62-B62249B5E34C.jpeg

C0461B70-80E5-47D6-A3E9-FA27048AEDF9.jpeg

E666F275-C2A7-4567-9764-9B9ECC820354.jpeg

For the black part of the console, I used Rust-Oleum Hammered Black paint.

Here’s mine from like 4 years ago and still going strong.
Curious DD, Are those the original chrome panels? If so, did you have any pitting to contend with and how did you handle it?

Curious DD, Are those the original chrome panels? If so, did you have any pitting to contend with and how did you handle it?

Yea original chrome console top. It didn’t have much pitting on it. But I also overlayed some black carbon fiber over it.

Here it is after like 3+ years of abuse… most scratches in the back… but that’s where the Bluetooth speaker goes and the kids step there when climbing from the front to back.

Pardon the mess. It’s been a long winter and we drive the piss out of this car. It gets cleaned then after 1 drive with me and 3 kids and it’s back to messy. :steering::thumbsup:

IMG_2981.jpeg

IMG_2980.jpeg

IMG_2979.jpeg

IMG_2978.jpeg

IMG_2977.jpeg

Thanks for the pics. I was just cleaning mine up when I stumbled on this thread. My chrome isn't too bad either. Will need to get the ashtray door rechromed, though I should just turn it into a cup holder. I'm debating buying one of those overlays just because the original one was always a little off center and the one edge curled and eventually start to chip. Don't think I can remove it after this long without tearing it up. It's a shame too because the forward one is damn near perfect just need the piece for the door.

-
Back