Constant spark from ignition coil with key on

-
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but no LOL. I have seen systems that make weird noises when they should not. I'm with "the others" My best guess is the box. But before you replace it you might try jumpering power direct to the coil with the key on. "It might be" some weird bad connection is causing the thing to go into an oscillation loop here is how that might be, and I say, "might."

"Let's say" there is a bad connection or component in the power feed. Maybe the igntion switch is OK, maybe the bulkhead connector is OK. Maybe there is a bad connection at the ballast, or it's actually broke and sort of just "touching" internally

You turn on the key.........The system surges on and draws some current.......this starting surge of current produces one spark.

The bad connection breaks or becomes "poorer" due to the inrush current. The bad connection /component drops power down to either nothing, or so low the box can't do anything. Current drops out and stops. The bad connection remakes, the box draws current, another inrush of current, another spark, and the thing does this all over again.

It's called an oscillation.

A poorly designed ignition "flasher". LOL

Really? Thats not you holding the coil wire then? lol
Ok then throw a different ecu at it and see if it stops. You should have a spare anyway.

I should have another.... I dont yet though. Almost bought a new coil and ecu tonight at O'Reilly's but wanted to make sure I got a good one instead of just getting anything.

Edit- yes electrical stuff intimidates me. I dont know how to do any of it, I'm scared of causing a fire and I'm scared of messing something up instead of actually fixing it...

Should be able to bring you a coil and Ecu before you spend money......so you can test

Edit- yes electrical stuff intimidates me. I dont know how to do any of it, I'm scared of causing a fire and I'm scared of messing something up instead of actually fixing it...
Oh I get it. I damn sure don't have the nerve (pun intended) to drill on an actual human beings tooth.

Should be able to bring you a coil and Ecu before you spend money......so you can test
Sounds like you got a good helper/teacher!

Oh I get it. I damn sure don't have the nerve (pun intended) to drill on an actual human beings tooth.

Sounds like you got a good helper/teacher!

A great teacher, I just feel bad my car turns everything into a disaster. Little things always seem to come up when we are "done."

Edit- I also feel bad when he brings over extra parts/tools. He's been way to good to me, hopefully I can pay it forward one day.

Is it possible that the pickup is the issue, doing what 67dart273 said?

I would still like to see what happens when some of those wires on the coil are disconnected. there are 3 wires on the neg side of the coil, one should come from ECU one might be a capacitor, the other the tach. I would like to see the tach and the other connector disconnected and then turn the key on.

Doubt it is the pickup. it sends a ac signal to the ecu only when it the relictor passes it. Ballast resistor highly doubt it if it is going constantly that to me says voltage is going through it. I say ECU get it tested at the oldest auto parts store in your area.

Oh dang, I never updated this with the problem and solution. There was a wire that wasn't connected tight on the coil, which caused the coil to continuously spark. Fixed the wire, and now the problem is gone.

20220403_112647.jpg

-
Back