Contact Cleaner vs Brake Cleaner

-

dibbons

Reaction score
On our '65 Valiant Signet converbible, tracking down a driver's side front turn signal problem, I finally was able to isolate it at the firewall (light green wire). Hard to get anything in there to clean and no more contact cleaner on the shelf. I found two, almost empty, cans of brake cleaner. Sprayed the contact until the cans quit on me a few seconds later.

Ran a jumper wire from the firewall contact to the lamp and now it went bright (before only measured a few millivolts and no flashing). Might only be a temporary fix.

Anyway, just wondering what the difference was between brake cleaner and contact cleaner? Should I invest in a can of each? Thank you.

IMG_0548.jpg

Brake clean is good but I've been taught to disconnect any power source before spraying on wire connections.

I would imagine that the contact cleaner is designed to not dissolve the plastic connectors and insulation.

I would imagine that the contact cleaner is designed to not dissolve the plastic connectors and insulation.
That's an excellent point. Brake cleaner is VERY harsh on plastics.

And the non clorinated brake cleaner is flammable, so you have to be careful around electrical connections and sparks

-
Back