Contemplating a Swap

-

Fenix13

Reaction score
Been searching the forums, figured I'd ask and get an updated opinion.

I have a 68 Barracuda, with a 318 in need of a rebuild/new motor. I went to talk to my mechanic about building a 390 stroker and he offered me a 2007 5.7 HEMI from a charger for 1500 bucks everything included (minus trans), as I've read my 904 will bolt right on with minor modification.

I told the mechanic I'd get back to him tomorrow morning. Question being, considering I want more power than the 318 should I pull the trigger?

I can work out labor with my mechanic; but, what am I looking at as far as parts costs? I'd like to be under $3500, including the motor... can it be done?

Thanks in advance!

Computer and harness then your golden. There will be some extras and I think 3500 will leave ya with some leftovers for new tires.

Thanks for the response 5.7. Does anyone make a complete swap kit?

I know the TTI mounts and headers seem to be the favorite, and an oil pan from different companies are a must, but I have been coming across differences regarding the computer and harness.

I take it I can redo the computer, but need to have the mechanic create a harness for me?

Sorry for newbie questions but I just don't want to get over my head.

I dont think anyone makes a swap kit. Somebody should.

I also don't think there's any such thing as a "budget" hemi swap into an A-body.

Keep in mind there are cooling issues too . The Hemi requires a different radiator and you'll need some good electric fans as you can't run a mechanical one.

You'll also need a fuel system for the EFI with high pressure pump, regulator etc.

Check this out:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0905_hemi_engine_swap_guide/viewall.html

I dont think anyone makes a swap kit. Somebody should

Trouble is, some of the conversion parts commercially available aren't completely fit for purpose.

These are some of the issues Ive read about......

If the:

- Power steer delete pulley was a reasonable price,
- the TTI mounts could be guaranteed not to be so tall
- there was a wider range of headers that cleared the ps pump or steering rack
- people could decide if the bell housing shim was needed or not
- milodon sold a complete pan kit...not just stuff separately...including the main cap bolts
- aftermarket harnesses were a genuine direct swap out for OE...with no sensor changes required
- there was an off the shelf radiator option with inlet/outlet on the same side

...then the other mucking around such as block clearancing and inner guard clearancing would not be such a additional hassle.

Trouble is, some of the conversion parts commercially available aren't completely fit for purpose.

These are some of the issues Ive read about......

If the:

- Power steer delete pulley was a reasonable price,
- the TTI mounts could be guaranteed not to be so tall
- there was a wider range of headers that cleared the ps pump or steering rack
- people could decide if the bell housing shim was needed or not
- milodon sold a complete pan kit...not just stuff separately...including the main cap bolts
- aftermarket harnesses were a genuine direct swap out for OE...with no sensor changes required
- there was an off the shelf radiator option with inlet/outlet on the same side

...then the other mucking around such as block clearancing and inner guard clearancing would not be such a additional hassle.

You bring up very valid points, considering:

I could build the motor mounts myself worst case, I've read that the jeep headers work "well enough" under $300, I was looking at the xv radiator package for the swap if I couldn't find anything else.

With the above, having a stock computer reflashed, and a harness built would I come in under $3500 in parts? That's what I would assume a stroker would cost...

Do also realize that the stroker will becoming for a set of heads to match the new displacement. The 318 heads are corks as well as stock 360 heads. For a performance application on a 390, a bowl ported 2.02 360 head would be a min. and still limiting in the power RPM ceiling. (AKA, not going to rev to high and make power)

IMO, the 5.7 swap is a great idea. As said above, grab the wiring harrnass from the truck. Mount the computer, run a power wire to it, ground it, hook up the sensors. Done.
There is no doubt there are hidden costs to such a swap. I still think it can be worth it.

The more research I do seems like the 5.7 is a better gamble. I haven't found a true cost, but the RHS Indy ported heads for a stroker 390 seems like a better deal. Appreciate everyone's input on the matter thanks guys.

I tend to agree with Rumble...the "value add" running a modern hemi is streetability, more performance potential and less stress on components.

Just be aware its not all " straight sailing" ;)

By the time you buy headers and motor mounts ($1000), harness, fuel tank, radiator, oil pan,pickup,windage tray and dipstick....you will be at 6 or 7 grand including the cost of the motor. You can't just grab a junkyard harness and stick a hot wire to it and get it to work. If you want to run AC, you will have to fab a drivers side motor mount because the compressor is located on drivers side bottom. You can see my TTI spool mounts vs AC compressor thread for whats involved in moving stuff. Don't get discouraged or overwhelmed.......just have fun!

It can be done affordably but that definition changes depending on what your budget is. $3500 including the engine cost will be tight. Jeep headers need modifications to fit. Don't plan on running power steering and know that most of the aftermarket harness/pcm packages don't allow for tuning without refreshing the pcm so if you ever want to run a cam or ported heads or a blower your s.o.l.

IMO the 6-7K number is probably more realistic, but keep in mind is what do you want to do with the car. I am currently getting 20MPG in combined driving, so I know on a highway run it will do better than that. I plan on hitting as many shows as I can this year, some 7 hours away. You can probably do the stroker a little cheaper, but even with a 5 speed trans, I doubt you will get anywhere near 20mpg. And as far as power is concerned, my stock 5.7 is rated at 345hp, add in the CAI and true duals with no cats, and it's probably around 375hp. At 20mph I can punch it and light up the tires, which is enough power for me...

20 mpg sounds great. I just want the project running, eventually we'll build the motor but for now top priority is getting her back on tthe road.

Sounds like I may have to wait a little longer, but the hemi seems to be the better deal. Thanks everyone

By the time you buy headers and motor mounts ($1000), harness, fuel tank, radiator, oil pan,pickup,windage tray and dipstick....you will be at 6 or 7 grand including the cost of the motor. You can't just grab a junkyard harness and stick a hot wire to it and get it to work. If you want to run AC, you will have to fab a drivers side motor mount because the compressor is located on drivers side bottom. You can see my TTI spool mounts vs AC compressor thread for whats involved in moving stuff. Don't get discouraged or overwhelmed.......just have fun!

Plus kickdown linkage, oil filter relocation kit, the list goes on :toothy8:.

I look at my list of things to sort out and get a bit freaked out at times, but with time and the help of the good fellas on this forum you will get there.

-
Back