Content in watching them rust.

-

Flatlander

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows of several old mopars/cars that are turning to rust. Owners who refuse to sell them and seem happy to let them reach the point of no return in the yard. I know of a '69 Charger R/T that's reached that point, a late 60's Barracuda fast on its way, '68 Cougar, '69 Chevelle SS, and a '72 Duster. All of these cars are within 20 miles of me. I just don't get the psychology.

I know a 72+ Cuda and 68+ Charger just sitting in a front yard with the owner refusing to sell with the classic saying. "I'll get to them later" And there getting bad. I have seen them for the last 8 years outside turning terrible.
I think he needs to be shamed into selling them.

I know where there are 5 mid 60's Barracudas, a 71 Cuda, 64 Dart, 65 Dart GT, 65 Coronet vert..just to name a few, and all but the 65 dart within 15 miles of home.

I know of dozens of vehicles like that in my area. It just makes you sick to see some of these historic beauties returning to their natural state - RUST! Some of these people are just born with a chip on their shoulder and won't sell just because. Then, as you say, there are the "I'm going to restore it someday" anal retentive folks. O.K. - getting off the soap box now. :)

Or they will sell them but for the same price as a restored auto which is basicly saying I won't sell it.
If you act like a pushy salesman and keep buggng them some will finally cave, I have done it before and it can work.
Try this, talk to the mom or wife of the owner when the owner is not home she usually wants them out of the yard and applies leverage to the owner to let them go, it can work.

Or they will sell them but for the same price as a restored auto which is basicly saying I won't sell it.
If you act like a pushy salesman and keep buggng them some will finally cave, I have done it before and it can work.
Try this, talk to the mom or wife of the owner when the owner is not home she usually wants them out of the yard and applies leverage to the owner to let them go, this works better than bugging the owner.

I have a friend who has 9 early Barracudas 73 Challenger, 76, 69 DArt all that just sit. His health stops him form doing much on them. It is sad as some are still nice cars. All are worth putting the money into them.

71 Charger R/T sitting for at least 20 years behind a house,owner says not for sale.
About a mile down the road is a 71 Duster that i believe to be a 340 car,no wheels sitting on the ground windshield smashed and the body is all beat up and the hood is missing but the 8 3/4 is still in it and a near MINT sharktooth grille!
Absolutely NOT for sale!

I also know of 2 other 71/72 Chargers sitting for years.

My one neighbor has a 57 and a 58 Fury both Golden Commandos both have been sitting and rotting for at least 20 years.
A friend of my Dad's has a 68 Charger he bought new,last time i seen it there were hole's in the qtrs. and front fenders you could fit your head in!

There are a couple others also that i know of that are just sitting and rotting away.
sadd0001.gif

EvilScamp said:
About a mile down the road is a 71 Duster that i believe to be a 340 car,no wheels sitting on the ground windshield smashed and the body is all beat up and the hood is missing but the 8 3/4 is still in it and a near MINT sharktooth grille!
Absolutely NOT for sale!

OK dude, he's the deal:

Buy a pair of tickets to a sporting event or show that might interset him (check his other cars for bumper stickers or see if he has a team jacket or something....maybe even Nascar tickets) When he goes to enjoy his day out, show up with a flatbed.

This logic works in Brooklyn....

And quite well I might add. Big biz it iz. LOL

There's a 71 Cuda, looks like a 340 car with a set of rusty old Cragars on it sitting about 3 blocks from my house. It is wrecked on the passenger side behind the door, looks like it hit a pole sideways. The old lady who lives there has turned away all offers for the 30+ years that it's been sitting there according to guys who grew up in the neighborhood, I can't even get her to answer the door. The story around town is that her daughter got killed in the wreck of the car (although it doesn't look like much of a wreck really) and it's sat in the yard up on blocks ever since. Last year somebody broke out the windshield, and for about 2 weeks there was a for sale sign on the car. That's when I couldn't get anybody to answer the door. Then the sign disappeared. I bet there's nothing left of the floors, frame, or trunk floor. The car would probably pull itself in half if you tried to tow it away now.. sad.

FASTBACK340 said:
OK dude, he's the deal:

Buy a pair of tickets to a sporting event or show that might interset him (check his other cars for bumper stickers or see if he has a team jacket or something....maybe even Nascar tickets) When he goes to enjoy his day out, show up with a flatbed.

This logic works in Brooklyn....

My cousin knows the guy that owns it that's how i found out about it,when he took me to look at it the guy wasn't home so i only did a quick once over.
Before we went to look at it he told me that the guy was nuttier than squirrel **** and doubt he would sell it.
He talked to him a couple days later and was told not for sale.
That was about 2 years ago and has since asked about it a couple more times and still no dice.

EvilScamp said:
My cousin knows the guy that owns it that's how i found out about it,when he took me to look at it the guy wasn't home so i only did a quick once over.
Before we went to look at it he told me that the guy was nuttier than squirrel **** and doubt he would sell it.
He talked to him a couple days later and was told not for sale.
That was about 2 years ago and has since asked about it a couple more times and still no dice.

Down your way Evil, out RT 487 past Knoebels there is a guy who has 4 or 5 mid 60's Cudas, ever notice them, the trees pretty much had them covered.

GTGrinly said:
Down your way Evil, out RT 487 past Knoebels there is a guy who has 4 or 5 mid 60's Cudas, ever notice them, the trees pretty much had them covered.

Nope never seen them but i do of 2 67 Barracudas sitting in someone's yard,they can hardly be seen anymore there is so much stuff growing around them.
They aren't for sale either,a friend of mine inquired about them a while back.

A few miles before you get to Knoebel's there is a big garage on the left side that from what i have been told by more than one person is loaded with Hemi cars,including Cudas,Challengers and even a few wing cars!

omg im soo drunk right now and PISSED off about cars rotting away that i have no words to describe how i feel except numb, and
threadrocks.jpg

I have found soooo many cars over time, and mind you most of my finders are buyable, i understand the non sellers..
ive been down that road and its aggrivating.

Cerwin

I've got a 71 Challenger, 73 Charger, 68 Firebird, 65 Galaxie and a 66 Falcon all within 10 minutes of my place that are doing nothing except rotting. None are for sale and all will be "restored" some day. Sure :disgust:

On a brighter note, the guy I've been bugging about the 70 Javelin in his yard has gone from not for sale, to maybe, to call me in a couple weeks to arrange possible pickup. Had to stop by his house and good naturedly bug him a few times but sometimes it does work :toothy7:

There are still some out there that can be bought,i managed to pick up a few cars over the years mostly for parts.
A couple i got so cheap i couldn't pass them up and drug them home.

there was a 70 superbee matching #s pretty rusty sitting for years -everybody bugged this guy for years he even pulled a gun on somebody inquiring ,one day my girlfriend and i stopped by to give it a try he seemed in a good mood, i gave him a sob story he called me 1 week later i got it for $2000 lots of rust needed total resto but i got it ,never say never

I used to live on a well traveled road, and had people stopping all the time trying to buy my 66 Cuda, I finally got tired of being the one saying "I get around to it one day" I'm making the time for it now.
My grandfather had several cars on his farm that he refused to sell, for no apparent reason. He had a 2 door 57 Chevy next to the barn that people kept stopping for, He also had a 32 Ford in a back field, and a Studabaker in the barn buried to the door handles in sheep dung.

I have a cousin in from Cali. and he is looking for a Charger. I told him to go talk to my neighbor about the '69 setting in his yard, me knowing full well he wouldn't sell it(snicker). My cousin came back and exclaimed: "That guy is Joe Dirt!" :lol: :lol:

luvmy66dartgt said:
I have a cousin in from Cali. and he is looking for a Charger. I told him to go talk to my neighbor about the '69 setting in his yard, me knowing full well he wouldn't sell it(snicker). My cousin came back and exclaimed: "That guy is Joe Dirt!" :lol: :lol:

How about a 68 Charger R/T?
186195026.gif

Ran across it a couple years ago,triple green,it was hit real hard in the front-end!
Pretty well stripped except for a couple pieces of front suspension and the rear window.
The guy has about 150/200 cars and won't sell anything,another guy told me that there is a 66 Coronet 383 4-speed in there somewhere.

That's a 20k car if I've ever seen one.

I think I'll check out that old Barracuda today, If I can get past all the dogs.

Know of a 440 72 challenger that pisses all my friends off because it was one of our friends cars then the dude became a low life. Now we're just waiting for him to get drunk and run into it with another car.

My buddy is currently trying for a 73 400 one owner Charger from our old Pastor. Ran when parked...15 years ago. Funny story about that Charger is the key to my Dart opens both doors and starts it up (turns the ignition anyway) so I'm really pushing for him to buy it. :angel9:

This Swinger sits two houses down from me.... the owner is a hermit who is rarely seen. He should be living out in the wilderness instead of living in a city with over 1 million people.

swinger.jpg

I drive back East to North Dakota every year, and every year I look at a 67 plymouth hard top sitting by a garage in the middle of my Home town, (50 people). Knowbody knows where the owner is. This year I walked over to it and closed the drivers side door. It had been left open by someone, (still very restorable). Oh well.......

Howard

-
Back