Conversion to manual steering Question

-

Gandy Dancer

Reaction score
Hello - I have a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda that I have just converted from Power Steering to Manual Steering. Does anyone have any recommendations on what kind of steering shaft adapter that I should use? Also can the same Pittman arm from the power steering unit be used for the manual gear? Thanks FABO!

You can get the conversion adapter from Firm Feel and other sources or you can find a manual steering column from a '63-6 A-body and change over just the center shaft with coupler. That is usually the less expensive way to go as long as you make sure the coupler is good and tight.

Just push the column in about 2.5 inches...Seriously, a used manual column may be cheaper than that $125 chunk of metal. I just cant see myself buying that adapter..But hey, Im cheap. I hacked 3 inches off a junkyard car and welded it to the end of my auto column...
DSC00013.JPG
DSC00015.JPG

Just push the column in about 2.5 inches...Seriously, a used manual column may be cheaper than that $125 chunk of metal. I just cant see myself buying that adapter..But hey, Im cheap. I hacked 3 inches off a junkyard car and welded it to the end of my auto column...
DSC00013.JPG
DSC00015.JPG

That is a nice ideal

Got a couple of early A manual steering shafts if you want to go that way.

I just did this conversion in my 65 using another steering column from a 63/64 with manual steering box & ran into another problem; I found that my 65 power steering box coupler would not fit the manual steering box.

Consequently I bought a new manual steering box coupler which has a different female spline diameter than the power steering coupler. A new coupler & parts also helps to make for tighter steering & less wander.

ps: I used a 63/64 manual steering box column since I was also doing an automatic to 4 speed OD conversion at the same time; in that case a pushbutton equipted manual steering box column works out for the double conversion effort if you can't easily locate a 4 spd manual steering box column.

The splines on the pitman ARM I believe are smaller on the manual box

-
Back