Convert FI to Carb

-

dICKj

Reaction score
I am looking at a 1994 truck 318. Is it a simple matter of swapping on a manifold and carb, or is it more complicated than that.

I can tell you how to manage it on the 1993 and earlier, but 1994 may be a little more involved. On the earlier TBI models, the charging circuit is routed through the computer, so you also have to switch to an external voltage regulator.

To go to a manual fuel pump on the block, instead of EFI in the tank fuel pump.

Screenshot_20220413-223718_Gallery.jpg

'94 is a Magnum. Needs a Magnum-specific manifold, modified throttle/kickdown brackets, LA distributor, and if you're putting it in a pass. car, an LA 360 oil pan/pickup/dipstick & tube. It also takes 340/360 style motor mount brackets. The 5.2 (318) is internally balanced, so an LA 273/318/early 340 flexplate/flywheel can be used. You'll need an electric fuel pump and regulator since the Magnums have no provision for a mechanical fuel pump.

Yeah, didn’t even get into the whole magnum aspect. You may also need an LA front timing cover for a mechanical fuel pump provision. And then your dash gauges may become a different matter entirely when bypassing the ignition and voltage regulator circuit on the ‘94 computer.

The good news is that dodge didn’t go with OBD2 until 1996, so it should still be a lot like doing the earlier TBI trucks. Magnums used higher fuel pressure, but if you can use the relay to run the factory pump, you could use it with a bypass regulator and a return line. But the mechanical fuel pump conversion is more reliable.

OP, are you looking at just an engine to put in your car, or doing the carb swap in the original vehicle?

I would not even screw with a mechanical pump. The big, BIG issue is intake manifold. There is/ was a ji..............................g, er I mean "fixture" floating around to redrill the heads for LA intake. If you are unaware, the bolt holes are different angles. LA intakes the bolts are "close" to perpendicular to the head intake gasket surface. On Magnums, the bolt holes are vertical to ground "plumb" with engine in normal "level" position. Not too sure you would want to try that mod without pulling the heads

Here is a 1990 318 TBI conversion to 4 bbl. with mechanical fuel pump conversion. Did the "re-drill" and tap on the stock TBI intake to set it up for the 4bbl. adapter.

Happy with the results of this and the way it performs.

Magnums are more complicated to convert to 4bbls.

Resized_20200712_194110_8421.jpeg

TBI re-drill and tap on left:
Screenshot_20220414-003437_Gallery.jpg

2 to 4 bbl adapter:
Screenshot_20200821-072312_Chrome.jpg

Or, depending on your expectations, LOLOL

(Seriously this was to test fire a magnum with "minimal" work"---quickly conceived TB to carb adapter, sub in an LA dist, triggering the "emergency" GM HEI 4 pin box, and off we go

LMFAO Anybody figure out what this is?

img_1024-jpg.jpg

img_1025-jpg.jpg

img_1036-jpg.jpg

-
Back