Convert floor ship to Automatic

-

jose65cuda

Reaction score
My grandson 66 Dart has a Slant 6 with a 3 speed floor shift want to convert to Automatic with a Automatic floor shift suggestions please shifter and year and type of tranny?

I don't know how attached he is to that specific car but maybe he can consider a trade or to sell that car and purchase another A Body with an automatic? Its 100% possible to do the conversion from manual to automatic and vice versa but there are plenty of people out there who would prefer to have a stick shift car (even the 3 speed) vs an automatic

There was a point in time of me owning my dart when it was still new to me where I nearly traded my 68 Dart 360 auto 4 door for a 68 Valiant slant-6 3-speed 2 door. The guy ended up decided what he needed was money, not my car, and sold the valiant to someone else. Now I'm not sure I would make the same trade but maybe someone else out there is.

Just a thought...

Depends how you want to do it. All factory automatic floor shifts were console, does yours have a console?

The stick cars have an "odd" shaped bump added to the floorpan for the shifter. OEM automatic floor shifts don't have that, and the OEM auto shifter comes up through a "punch" in the floor, but requires specific hardware, AND a specific type transmission, which has cast in mounting holes on the bottom of the trans case for a bracket, supporting the bushing/ shaft of the floor shifter

Otherwise "what I'd do" is just make a sheet metal cover for the shifter, and buy your choice of used/ new/ brand aftermarket auto shifter and mount it neatly on the floor

Thanks for the response I had a long talk with my Grandson and we have decided to convert to maybe a mild 360 with a 4 speed and dual exhaust. I did convert the 66 Dart to 3 on the floor `with a floor hump from a 66 Cuda fit like a glove. It had a column shift and i could not get to shift right. Again thanks for the much needed advise.

-
Back