Converter/how much stall?

-

70wayfarer

Reaction score
hi all.....
having gone to the Vortech from NA I must say the results are impressive. Ran mid 14's on the 1/4 NA and PB of 11.67 with the supercharger. Same engine, trans, gears.
Off the line she seems a bit sluggish to the sixty foot and then off like a scolded cat. Rear gears are 3.5:1, 26" hoosier qtp, stock 11" converter has been loosened up as much as possible. Just wondering how much stall is too much for a street driven car. Boost seems to come in around 3000. Would I gain from more stall to get off the line better. Guys that did the verter said about 2200-2400.
Had the same issue with the 383 in same car. Got a 3000 stall verter and the car was so much quicker off the line and improved ET's.
combo is...
360 -9:1 cr
727 - transgo tf3 kit
Vortech V2, 2.87 pulley, 7" crank pulley
ProSystems blo through carby
3.5:1 gears
26" hoosier QTP tires
car weighs 1650KG with me in her

any help here much appreciated. Cheers

Attachments

• P1010567.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 245
I drive my 360 demon with a 4,400 stall no problem. I took out a 2,600 stall that worked fine also. Guess it depends on your peak torque.

Get something with at least a 4000 stall. Also may want to think about getting something like a 9" or so converter. It will be more efficient then the 11". A friend used to run a 8" with 5500 stall around town and he said it was not a problem. Drove to the track on the highway and drove home. He said you couldn't tell it had that big of a stall just cruising around. It had great street manners.

thanks guys....
will talk to my converter guy and see what we can come up with.

what's better to way to go, flash when you stomp on it, or bring up the rpm to whatever and launch.

get the car on a dyno and see where the power is being made. Also Cam specs would be extremely helpful when sizing a 'verter.

-
Back