Converter identification

-

360duster

Reaction score
$_72.JPG

Hi Guys,

can this converter be identified by the picture? I mean the diameter, by comparing it to the starter ring gear....i do not have much knowledge about race converters, a guy here offers this one without having much info himself.....according to him it stalled at 3000 rpm in a big block car, could be interesting for my Valiant. The seller told me there´s no information stamped into the shell....Thanks for Info!

Michael

The impression I got when I first saw it was that it was a little over factory stall.
But that means nothing because it's the insides that count.

The diameter is what gave me the impression, so it very well could be exactly what he said it is.

$_72.JPG

Hi Guys,

can this converter be identified by the picture? I mean the diameter, by comparing it to the starter ring gear....i do not have much knowledge about race converters, a guy here offers this one without having much info himself.....according to him it stalled at 3000 rpm in a big block car, could be interesting for my Valiant. The seller told me there´s no information stamped into the shell....Thanks for Info!

Michael
Well Michael it's not a factory converter for sure. At the factory, the ring gear was welded to the converter body.
From a photo, it is almost impossible to tell anything about it. On a bad guess, I'd say it was a 10" converter. All of the magic of making a high stall converter is done inside the converter. Internal vanes are re-angled, the stator may have been modified(cut), etc. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a race converter as you've been told it only stalled at 3000 rpm behind a big block.
Before you even think about spending money on this thing find out more about it, like what engine,what was done to the engine like cam, heads, carb.etc., was the crank steel or cast iron. On the converter itself check the hub for any indication of wear (it MUST be mirror smooth) as any groves make it useless, look at the mounting holes and check for any indication they've been stripped, drain some oil out and see if there is any contamination in it and check the color of the oil and if there is any water in it.
You don't say what engine you're running, so I can't comment on whether this converter will even perform with your engine/rear axle ratio/tire size combination.
Used converters from my past experience in the business are usually a waste of money. You've got no idea on what it's like on the inside or what has or has not been done to it. The only way you can find out what's inside is to have it cut open and checked over.
Sorry Michael, but to me a used conveter only makes a great door stop. Many things may be wrong with it you can't see. I've seen too many guys get caught in the used race converter game only to find out they've bought a pile of, to them, useless junk.

Thanks guys for your feedback. I´m also careful with used parts, already have some "doorstops" here. Since the seller is not able / too lazy to supply more information i do not want to buy this any longer, will save up for a new one, made for my combination....Thanks!

Michael

-
Back