Converter lockup

-

supertruck

Unretired Old Fart stock car racer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
See the links below. Can someone more knowledgeable about auto trans than I am tell me what is better and why? I'm going with the 2004R with Wilcap adapter behind the 340 in my Dart project. The trans is from an 86 Monte Carlo SS and will be rebuilt with aftermarket parts to toughen it up a bit. I am not that familiar with auto trans and lockup / non-lockup converters. I've had people on both sides tell me what I should get. All help is appreciated.

B&M Converter Lockup Controls 70244
TCI 2004R/700R4 Lockup Wiring Kits 376600

Wow, all the auto trans experts on FABO and not one response. Should have asked what oil to run, then I'd get 100 responses, all different. Guess I'll try a Chevy board.

Wow, all the auto trans experts on FABO and not one response. Should have asked what oil to run, then I'd get 100 responses, all different. Guess I'll try a Chevy board.

Both would be about perfect, but the best out of those choices would be the B&M kit and a separate adjustable vacuum switch like the Summit kit has.
The B&M kit is speedo driven only it looks like, but is nice and automatic so you don't have to touch anything.
That kit seems to only supply an on or off at settable speeds (between 30 and 90 mph) and no provision for kicking the lockup out when you step on the gas, like for hills or passing.
This is what the adjustable vac switch would do for you.

That way, when you are driving along in converter lockup and need to pass or climb a hill the vacuum switch can be set to kick out the lockup by breaking the electrical connection to the lockup solenoid depending on how much the engine vacuum drops when you step on it.
It can be set for anything between 6 and 22 inches of vacuum.

Here's one that Amazon carries.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BZODN9A/?tag=joeychgo-20

Just in case you don't know already a lockup converter gives direct drive with no slippage and therefor dropping your RPM by about 300.
This increases fuel economy on the hiway due to not having the slippage of a regular converter.

Last edited:
Thanks Trail Beast. As always, an easy to understand response. This is my first experience with a performance automatic. All my previous vehicles have been manual trans.

Thanks Trail Beast. As always, an easy to understand response. This is my first experience with a performance automatic. All my previous vehicles have been manual trans.

No problem.
I'm a converted stick driver as well, and it's nice to have a fully automatic OD and lockup trans for a change.
I have mine set up so that I can turn OD and lockup either or both off, or leave everything fully automatic through the whole range.

-
Back