Converter to flex plate issues

-
I know there are 10" diameter plates,11 1/8" diameter paltes,plates with 5/16" bolt holes,7/16" bolt holes and 3/8" bolt holes,I know there are plates with circular holes(727) and plates with triangular holes(904),I know there are smaller center holes for crank and larger ones, I know there are some 6 bolt crank bolt patterns where 2 of the bolt holes are offset and sit close together and there are some 6 bolt crank bolt patterns that are symmetrical ,and I believe there are 8 bolt crank bolt patter plates and I believe there are some balanced plates for externally balanced engines.

quite a few different variations...very confusing if you ask me lol.

why they couldnt use just one or two plate combination's and call it a day?

oh well...I found the one I needed lol

here are the two different ones. i painted the smaller one red to easier tell the difference...

DSCN5884.jpg

DSCN5883.jpg

DSCN5882.jpg

yup the one with circle holes is what I took off and the one with triangular holes is what I put on.

i have always used the smaller ones. no idea where i got the larger one. been in my tool box for years and years and have never needed it.

i dont want to sound like a dick but by the time you have done all this measuring an drawing on the computer.the tranny could have been on the bench. then you could have seen your problem first hand.... match the correct flex plate, mark it with some paint. so you dont have to fumble around with finding the right hole that match's alignment and put it back in .

i dont want to sound like a dick but by the time you have done all this measuring an drawing on the computer.the tranny could have been on the bench. then you could have seen your problem first hand.... match the correct flex plate, mark it with some paint. so you dont have to fumble around with finding the right hole that match's alignment and put it back in .

Not sure if you noticed the age of the thread or not....

But for one....the night I found I had the wrong flex plate it was to late to do any work so I took that spare time to make the diagrams (so it wasnt cutting into my work time) ....reason two was....I had to do alot of calling around before I found a place that had what flex plate I needed, reason 3 is I had some family issues come up that put working on the duster on hold , reason 4 is I am a full time parent and still have to work.

so its not that I was just blowing away my time when I could have been doing something productive .....once I had the time to do the work and had the part I needed on hand, the tranny came out in about 10 minutes, I pulled the old plate and torqued the new one down, raised the trans back into place and bolted down the converter.....it was about a 30 minute job give or take.

not to mention we had been having bad weather hear when all this was going on AND working in my garage is a task in itself... 14x20 garage with air compressor,bench and tool box and shelves taking up a good 3 feet on one side of the garage....its a bit tight to say the least LOL.

thanks for the input I just wanted to clear up that it wasnt a matter of being lazy or not know what i was doing it was I was just trying to make something of the down time.

It was pretty clear it would have to come back out but, there is nothing wrong with doing your research first before you just go chain sawing everything back out.

It was pretty clear it would have to come back out but, there is nothing wrong with doing your research first before you just go chain sawing everything back out.

My thoughts....I knew it was going to have to come out either way....so I figured in the down time I might aswell do some research and asking the members questions and making some diagrams to explain exactly what the deal was .

Good news is that I figured it out,it wasnt that expensive,It wasnt very time consuming and I now know to look for this sort of problem ahead of time if this situation comes about again ....never knew chrysler used so many different flex plates lol.

Thank you though for all the input and help guys, I appreciate it.:cheers:

Atleast it's fixed and ya got the parts cheap. I usually lay the flexplate on the converter and line up the bolt holes before I put them I. The car. This way I can mark the converter and flexplate and keep them inline when I put them in. I hate dicking around finding the correct line up once in the car. Lol

Atleast it's fixed and ya got the parts cheap. I usually lay the flexplate on the converter and line up the bolt holes before I put them I. The car. This way I can mark the converter and flexplate and keep them inline when I put them in. I hate dicking around finding the correct line up once in the car. Lol

The thing is I could have swore I did just that.....I thought I remembered putting the flex plate up to the converter before I installed everything . But obviously that night must have been a night I was painting and some fumes got to me because it sure as heck didnt line up LOL.

I had a similiar fiasco this spring with a new motor and trans install. Long story short, I installed the motor and trans with a flexplate for a externally balanced appliaction. It wasn't till after they were in and connected that I realized I needed a nuetral balanced flexplate.

So I got a neutral balanced flexplate from a friend and installed that. I failed to notice until I tried to bolt the flexplate to the converter that the flexplate was for 5/16 bolts and I had 7/16 threads on the converter.

So I finally ordered the correct flexplate from summit and swapped that out again. Thankfully the 3rd time was the charm.

-
Back