Convertible Frame Stiffening

-

GaryS

Reaction score
Before I rebuilt the entire suspension and steering on my '64 Valiant convertible, the slop in all the worn parts must have absorbed any body flex, or at least made it unnoticable.

Now that everything is new, there is a certain amount of flex that I would like to reduce, if possible. Has anyone installed frame connectors, or stiffened their convertible's unibody in any way?

Before I rebuilt the entire suspension and steering on my '64 Valiant convertible, the slop in all the worn parts must have absorbed any body flex, or at least made it unnoticable.

Now that everything is new, there is a certain amount of flex that I would like to reduce, if possible. Has anyone installed frame connectors, or stiffened their convertible's unibody in any way?

Try this place, they have then for your car.

http://www.uscartool.com/

Can't say for sure about your 64, but the 65 convertible I parted out had a pretty thick steel plate running length-wise within the rocker panel. The saw-zall really bogged down when it hit the plate (at least 1/4 in thick. I'm sure it was used to stiffen the chassis.

My 65 has torque boxes from the factory.
Does yours ?

Probably just add some frame connectors.

My 65 has torque boxes from the factory.
Does yours ?

Probably just add some frame connectors.

There is some bracing in the corners, but I'm not sure they could be called torque boxes...at least they are not like I've seen on aftermarket, or modified stock frames.

I read somewhere that frame connectors might not fit convertibles and that's why I asked the question. I've heard several opinions, but no actual results from anyone that tried improving convertible frames.

All of the unibody rockers create a sort of tubing in shape. The torque boxes on all convertibles and some performance models tie the frame rails to the rockers to in effect create a subframe connector even though it's not in a straight line.
There is still some flex. Adding a straight line subframe connector will stop it.
As far as the aftermarket connectors not fitting a vert.. you may need to do a little notching to fit with the torque boxes.

There is some bracing in the corners, but I'm not sure they could be called torque boxes...at least they are not like I've seen on aftermarket, or modified stock frames.

I read somewhere that frame connectors might not fit convertibles and that's why I asked the question. I've heard several opinions, but no actual results from anyone that tried improving convertible frames.

Well they are...:yawinkle:
Those are torque boxes.
Next step would be to tie in some frame connectors.
Get those in and you should be good to go.

-
Back