Converting factory shifter to cable??

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
My 75 Dart Sport is currently a column shift car.

I have the center console and shifter assembly (as well as steering column) to convert to a floorshift car.

My problem is that I have a 518 OD in my car now, and it does NOT have the provisions for the floor shift linkages like a 727 because it was only ever installed in trucks. I REALLY want to go to a floor shifter.

I figure I have two options:
Aftermarket shifter tower, and then build a nice center console around it. I have a friend who does fiberglass interior parts, so I thought it would be a good way to still get a console.

My other option that I would like to pursue first is to see if I can use the factory shifter/console, and instead of using linkages use a cable system.

Does anyone know if there is a cable conversion available, or what would need to be done to make something like this work??

Confused here. The trans you have must have some sort of select lever on it, even if not exactly like the 727. Where does it attach ? Pics maybe ?
The facoory automatic floor shifter linkage setup goes away yonder out of its way to get through the floor and on to the trans lever on 904 or 727.
I'm sure there is a way to do it with a cable but you'll probably use a long one, starting from right side of the OEM shifter and stand.

I'll get some pics up. The basic problem is that although the 518 is based on a 727, the housing does not have provisions cast in the case for the pivot linkages required for a floor shift setup. There is only the gear select shaft that sticks up verticly from the case on the left side. On it is a short (2"?) lever that the column linage attaches to.

So, you'll need to fabricate something that holds the cable housing in front of or behind that shift lever and an oposing return spring. Same set up on right side of factory shifter with or without a simiilar yet weaker spring. The detents in the factory shifter should be plenty deep enough and square enough to keep the paw in place.
I can see this doable but still expect a cable of 3 or 4 feet long.
Just so I could route it similar to the factory linkage.
And by the way, 904/727 dont have anything cast to the housing for shifter linkage either. The shaft support is simply bolted to a couple holes in the housing.

I think if you go cable, the kit comes with a bracket that bolts to the tranny somehow. Hot rodders use them all the time. Lokar (sp) i believe has them.

Yeah, I had seen those, but wasn't sure if they only worked with specific shifters. If I go aftermarket I'll end up getting something like that anyway.

I'll admit, building an aftermarket console is interesting to me. At least then I'll have cup holders. :angry7: :-D

-
Back