Converting to different seats

-
The seats in my Duster are high back, fixed buckets from an '85 Jeep Scrambler mounted on ye olde '68 Super Stock seat brackets. They weigh about 20lbs each with the brackets. New seat covers were a little over 2 bills on Ebay. My old boss gave me the seats for free. I don't like modern bolstered seats in muscle cars.

Attachments

• IMG_9877 (800x534).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_9929 (800x534).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 254
I could see how the bolstered seats look out of place, but if you set the car up to handle you really need something to keep you in place. Not to mention if you do some big road trips, a modern seat can make a big difference.

The OP didn't say whether his car was set up for handling or not and given his screen name of straightline speed, sounds like it's probably not.

Perhaps my situation may not be the best illustration. I always respond to these things with what I did myself which may not necessarily be what someone else would do.

First off, the seats I have were free. My boss was actually going to throw them out but they caught my eye and he said take 'em. Second, and this is important to me at least, they look like they belong in a muscle car. You can argue that they don't but if you squint, it's hard to tell.

Bolstered seats generally have those very visible and cheesy plastic adjuster mechanisms which really stick out to me (and not in a good way). Its the first thing you see when you open the door. I guess if you're OK with that, then go for it but I personally would not go with those type of seats.

I could see how the bolstered seats look out of place, but if you set the car up to handle you really need something to keep you in place. Not to mention if you do some big road trips, a modern seat can make a big difference.

A modern seat for me is one which has an adjustable headrest along with lumber support and not a seat with the headrest so high, back seat passengers cannot tell if you're driving or asleep...

Something that helps stock seats immensely is to hog ringing in extra springs.

Old furniture from craigslist makes for good donor springs. They are the same layout and gauge as these cars have. I've used them to replace broken ones, too.

If they need bent in any way, if you just use a propane torch, they bend on the hot spot easy.

I put a couple of extra springs going horizontally on both seat areas as well as the outer edges, longitudinally, where getting in and out of the car wears them down. The Scamp is super comfy, now. It felt terrible with sagged and broken springs, but they really do come back to life with some replacement springs from old furniture.

I used scrap foam to fill in low spots and hit it with contact cement and just used a grinder to shave it to shape, with a thin layer of sheet foam over the top. The only money I had in redoing the seat was for the upholstery, itself. If you get a junker chair, it usually has enough springs and foam to fix an old seat.

The OP didn't say whether his car was set up for handling or not and given his screen name of straightline speed, sounds like it's probably not.

LOL, this actually made me laugh.. No my car is not set up for handling. Although Im still working on gathering some parts. New to me LCA with sway bar etc.. I like the bench seat in my car, but I do not like sliding around when I take a corner on a exit ramp or a round about.. The bolstered racing style seats I do like and are very comfortable to me. I dont like the cheezy rice burner look of most of them, so to find a decent set is tough for me.

I have a friend that has a Hyundai Veloster. The seats in that thing are super comfy and having that racing inspired bolstered seat. I would like to find a wrecked one so I can try those seats.

I think the seats still have to fit the look of the car and so far from what everyone here has posted I think your all doing a good job with what you picked.

I like the bench seat in my car, but I do not like sliding around when I take a corner on a exit ramp or a round about..

I fixed this problem in the green car.

I met this cute girl who likes sitting up front with me.

I can take right turns faster, now. It's incredible.

I can't wait to see what happens when I put the pistol grip in that she requested.

LOL, Well I do have a cute girl. Actually 2 Fiance and daughter. Only one sits up front. Still a long ways to slide around LOL

That's where the faster right turn comes in super handy. You'd be surprised at how well it improves the ride.

Lol. No, I was thinking jeep. Mine look like they belong in the dumpster.

-
Back