Converting to Power Brakes

-

/6 Matt

30 Degrees Crooked
Reaction score
So I've decided after years of having fun with manual brakes that I think it may be time to upgrade to power brakes. My dart has 4 wheel drums and even though the stopping power is great for me, it doesn't do it for my sister who occasionally needs to drive my car. She had knee surgery about a year and a half ago after her friend got in a car wreck while my sister was in the passenger seat, she broke her knee cap in two. Unfortunately, she can no longer generate sufficient pressure to operate the brakes... comfortably. Also too, now after my girlfriend having her licsence for a year, I'm convinced she's already more trustworthy to drive my car than I am, buuuuuut we run into the same problem with weak legs. She drives a modern VW bug, I worry that she'll never truly get used to the lack of power brakes enough to drive my car defensively.

So my question is, would converting to power brakes be as simple as adding a booster and a vaccum line? Or would it require different pushrods, a different pedal, drilling of the firewall yada yada?

Any help is good help and it's all very appreciated. Thanks guys!

-
Back