Converting to ralley dash using a non-ralley harness

-

DaveW

Reaction score
I'm converting my 71 Dart to a Ralley dash from a donor 70 Dart 340 Swinger. I have both wiring harnesses, but want to use the 71 harness, which is in excellent condition. The 71 harness has 2 inline connectors with 5 wires in each. The 70 harness has the bullet style with only 8 pins filled. Is it just a matter of replacing the same color wire to the same position? And, what about the extra 2 wires that are not present in the bullet connector? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I think you are going to need a wiring diagram for both years and trace out the differences

I think you are going to need a wiring diagram for both years and trace out the differences

Screenshot_2020-02-02-14-06-37.png

Make sure to get factory schematics for both harnesses to compare.
Do you have the steel rally dash?
Agreed- OP, you DO realize the ralley dash is not a drop-in to a standard dash frame, right? And if you swap the frame from the donor, you'll have to deal with the VIN tag issue as well?

The harness can be used, you do have to switch the wires in the connectors and if you’re going from a standard to a rallye you will need to add the additional connector you don’t have.

The schematic I made is for going from a ‘74 Duster standard harness to a ‘68 or ‘69 barracuda rallye dash. On mine it was not quite as simple as just going like for like with the colors, I had to add the connector and splice those wires. And it definitely depends on the years being used because there were a few wires that used different colors depending on the year. The color of the brake wire and the gauge feed were the big ones that changed over the years, and of course the gauge feed is very important to get right. Most of the colors stayed the same throughput and just the locations changed. My schematic is specific to the years I used, although, it would be pretty close for other years too.

Bottom line is, you need the wire harness schematics for both cars you’re using, and go through to figure out what goes where.

9DCA47C1-BE36-4341-A28A-FA84471D5FB8.png

I also converted my standard dash frame to accept my rallye gauges and modified the gauge cluster itself for my build. The conversion starts at post #18 in my build thread and goes on over the first couple pages My "new" '74 Duster- or why I need a project like a hole in the head

By now you probably see the 2nd connector on the rally panel with 3 wires. So your standard panel has 10 wires total where rally panel has 11 wires total. That 1 wire difference is the only real hurdle. I dont have wiring diagrams for 71. I do have 72 but may not be the same. I could guess that the 2 switched hot wires, a blue with white tracer and a black, that the rally panel has is the difference but that is only a guess. If your 71 standard harness uses the black alone to feed brake warning lamp, oil warning lamp, and voltage limiter, you don't have to add the blue with white that feeds voltage limiter only in a rally panel. The black wire can feed brake warning and limiter. You'll likely end up with a solid state regulator outside the rally fuel gauge anyway. There is no oil warning lamp on the rally panel.
I know.... much of what I've stated doesn't jive with the drawings above. Those aren't my drawings.

By now you probably see the 2nd connector on the rally panel with 3 wires. So your standard panel has 10 wires total where rally panel has 11 wires total. That 1 wire difference is the only real hurdle. I dont have wiring diagrams for 71. I do have 72 but may not be the same. I could guess that the 2 switched hot wires, a blue with white tracer and a black, that the rally panel has is the difference but that is only a guess. If your 71 standard harness uses the black alone to feed brake warning lamp, oil warning lamp, and voltage limiter, you don't have to add the blue with white that feeds voltage limiter only in a rally panel. The black wire can feed brake warning and limiter. You'll likely end up with a solid state regulator outside the rally fuel gauge anyway. There is no oil warning lamp on the rally panel.
I know.... much of what I've stated doesn't jive with the drawings above. Those aren't my drawings.

They're MY drawings, and they are not for a '71 Dart, which is clearly labeled. The drawing is my diagram for converting my '74 Duster standard dash harness over to a '68 Barracuda rallye dash, although, the rallye dashes are all pretty similar with exception of a couple location and tracer color changes. All of the Dusters use the same round 11 pin connector for both the standard and rallye dashes clusters.

The '71 Dart uses two flat 5 pin connectors, the rallye uses the round 11 pin connector with an additional 3 pin connector. I have the wiring schematic for the '70, the FSM only shows one schematic and it's not for a rallye dash. The '70 schematic matches the connectors in my '71 Dart though. The '72 FSM is useless because in '72 the Dart's went away from the '70/'71 dash cluster and adopted the same standard cluster as the Dusters had already, with the round 11 pin connector.

You can download the '70 Dart manual here MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals , these are what you need but they'll show up too small here to be useful (pages 8-98, 8-99, and 8-106)
Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 4.16.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 4.18.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 4.18.05 PM.png

These are the connectors on my '71 though, when you download the '70 FSM you'll see they match in both color and pin out.
IMG_8919.jpeg

IMG_8922.jpeg

If you look at the FSM schematic, you'll see it labels all the wires.

Fuel gauge - Dark Blue
Right turn sig - Tan
Oil warning lamp (feed) - Blue/white
Oil warning light (send) - Gray
Dash lights - Orange (x2)
Temp. Gauge (send) - Violet
12 Volt limiter (feed) - Black
Left turn signal - Light Green
High Beam Indicator - Red

And guess what? All the colors match to the wires in the rallye dash except for one. You don't have a black wire with a white tracer. But if I read it correctly, you can split the black wire and use it to for the black and black and white receptors on the rallye gauge plug. Everything else is straight across. Yes, the blue and white wire goes from being called an oil warning feed to a brake warning feed, they're both 12v sources so it doesn't matter. As Redfish pointed out, the rallye dash does not have an oil warning light, but it does have an oil pressure gauge. And guess what? It uses the gray wire. You just need a sender for a gauge instead of a warning light.

Make sure to get factory schematics for both harnesses to compare.
Do you have the steel rally dash?
Yes, I do have the steel rally dash. I thought about trying to use the non-rally frame, but soon determined it would be easier to fix a hole and restore the rally dash frame.
Thanks everyone who responded to my question. There is a lot of information here to digest. I'll let you know what happens... Thanks, Dave

-
Back