convertor install

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
installing 904 to the slant. I 'm putting the convertor into tranny, spin it with pressure applied to convertor, it goes in all the way to seat. if I remember right the convertor should stay all th e way in, right, not slide out when I tilt the trannny?? right????

under car, trying to tranny in, just me and the floor jack, thanks

it will pull forward.....when you put bolts in and tighten bolts it comes forward about 3/8 inch or so....

move it back n forth....should here a clank ..clank noise as the converter hub hits the pump tangs...

once it goes all the way in and hits the tangs and I spin it some more, I shouldn't be able to slid the convertor all the way out of the tranny, right?????

done that(by myself,727)aint much fun.you really need to borrow a buddy expecially if you only got a floor jack.

once it goes all the way in and hits the tangs and I spin it some more, I shouldn't be able to slid the convertor all the way out of the tranny, right?????

Ha, can't get an answer can ya?

Yea, it'll slide right out if not supported.
Got a old school trick for you, and that is to put a box end 1/2 wrench on bellhousing with a bell bolt through it to hold the converter in while you get it up there.

Ha, can't get an answer can ya?

Yea, it'll slide right out if not supported.
Got a old school trick for you, and that is to put a box end 1/2 wrench on bellhousing with a bell bolt through it to hold the converter in while you get it up there.

thanks for the tip! i'm past old school, maybe ancient school!? LOL

I hated to pull the engine , then bolt up tranny, and drop It all back in. I knew this would be a struggle! getting the little woman to help me get hood off is part of it. have to use hoist chained to rafter! finding someone not busy and that actually shows up to help! or finding someone that doesn't have bad back, twisted whatever, and not busy smoking weed!? LOL

who ever said cartlidge coming loose in a knee is any excuse!?? hate it when it happens. crawl back into the house...LOL I say to me,,,, suck it up

I don't see why that can't smoke weed, have a bad back and a twisted whatever and still help. People these days!

if the guy with the bad back smoked the weed, it would work. but the neighbor mechanic mi down the road, smokes the weed, stays busy MAYBE 1 day of of the week, BUT I've asked him twice to help, I don't mind paying him. but he has to come over to my place.

I don't mind asking anyone questions, don't mind showing my ignorance, but always been slow to ask anyone to physically help. just me. i'll get it done if I have to pull the engine. hard to work on dirt floor with 25 years old floor jack! LOL

I just put a square of plywood between the floor jack and the trans pan to spread the load and help balance the trans , then jack with 1 hand and balance the trans with my 4 fingers over the converter face with the other , requires laying on your belly and doing the Australian Crawl sort of but hey , I too have some of those kind of friends eh.

PS I am currently avoiding sending my converter back to be re-stalled and tightened up because I need to do this in a 10 by 20 garage and need to do it without dropping the trans , yeah right am I dreaming or what eh LOL

I use both hands to hold the trans/converter and work the jack handle with a leg.

Laugh, but it works. :)

I use both hands to hold the trans/converter and work the jack handle with a leg.

Laugh, but it works. :)

I do the same thing. I use a C clamp at the bottom of the Bell housing to hold the converter in too.

done all 3, leg working the floor jack works with the 8 3/4 pig too. Thats a heavy greasy akward SOB! wrench bolted to the inspection cover bolt hole works great. Skateboards work too, just get the floorjacks at just the right height and roll the thing home.

I was stronger and more agile before I hit 66! LOL... years back I had young mechanic type mopar friend. he would slid under the car, pull the tranny up on his stomach and then raise it up while I put a couple bolts in it. all for a glass of sweet tea and an atta-boy!!!!!
that was fifteen years ago and he is 200 mi away! LOL

would have been lot easier to pulled the engine back out and bolted the tranny up, and resinstalled! LOL and I knew it at the time too.

Pulled mine the other weekend to replace the rear freeze plugs. While I had it out I went ahead and adjusted the bands.

52 years old, used the same leg on the floor jack with wood under it method. It didn't "slide right in"...but eventually got it, whew!!

Yep, sucks getting old!!!

Attachments

• transmission.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 131
And thats what trans jacks and lifts are for, so you can walk when you get older. Brave bunch it seems.

And thats what trans jacks and lifts are for, so you can walk when you get older. Brave bunch it seems.

well i cant afford a lift. i cant afford the building it takes to house the lift either. i cant afford a fancy trans jack.

what i can afford is a 12"x 12" piece of 3/4" plywood with a piece of dowel screwed to it in the center so it slips into the floor jack head. then i run a ratchet strap around it and send her up.

even a floor model trans jack can be rented at most equipment rental places. I've done a few that way.

You guys should have seen how much fun it was putting a new rear main seal in my 454 powered motorhome on a gravel driveway.

12 foot x 5 inch Driveline w/center support
Cross member
Turbo 400 trans
Jack up engine
Remove flywheel
Unbolt pan and reach inside to unbolt oil pump
Drop oil pump in pan
Slide oil pan out.

Took me almost two full days, and having to bolt the oil pump back up while the oil pan was already mostly in place was a ton of fun.
I could'nt get more than about up to my wrists in there to hold it in place, get the bolt in and tighten it up.

I ran it for about 20 min when it was done and took off on a Thankgiving trip the next morning.

someone hand me the advil pm !!! I pushed the tailshaft up as high as I could, baling wire held it. caught the "little woman" ( relative term?). on way to work. gave her the 8 ft rock bar, balanced on 6 x6, she raised the front of the tranny while I blocked it. then I could get floor jack under it. got under and back from car 4 doz times, finally got 3 bolts in it so it captured. did some welding and grinding on the toad when I needed a break from the tranny job! LOL

Trailbeast: 454 motorhome. I say sell that and buy a car lift, tranny jack, new floor jack, and a couple more projects cars!!!?????? LOL

man we should all be taking pics of some of this stuff lol . I know I got my #s 318 off the floor and onto the engine stand with the chunks of 6x6 and a pry bar method , got pretty wobbly by the time it was high enough to bolt to the stand eh , my garage is too small for a jack from the side so the handle has to face forward , preventing the leg trick for me . bet you guys don't have TTi headers either cause they got to come off for the bell housing to pass through doh ! man I hope I can pull the bolts from the trans cross member and just roll it back on the jack enough to get the converter out without actually dropping the trans .

-
Back