Convertors

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Scouting out gettign a new and proper Torque Convertor for my Duster. Dynamic sounds like the best thing since sliced bread but the fact he has no prices on his web site scares me. What brands for a street driven car are worth the cash? and What should a guy stay away from? Also with the 284-484 Mopar Purple Shaft and 3.55 gears behind the 340 My quick math says a stall in the area of 2500rpm?

Id be looking for a 10" converter for it. Something around 3000rpm stall speed.
Stay away from TCI, GER and anything real cheep.
Dynamic, Turbo Action, ATI, PTC, Pro Torque are all good converters. Maybe click on the Andrews Racing Transmissio banner and have a talk with Chris. He'll set you up.

Thanks Fastback, so 409.95 comes to 503.62 Canadian. I have another question. I know mopar rates there stall speed in k's eg. 175k Most others I jsut see in an rpm. But whats with the inches?

Inches are the overall diameter of the converter. In general it is better to use a smaller diameter converter for higher stall speeds as their overall efficiency is better. In other words a 10 inch converter can be made to have a 4000 rpm stall speed but it's efficiency (expressed in a percentage) at higher rpm's is going to be poor, maybe 89% of true 1 to 1. Whereas if you used a 9 inch converter at 4000 rpm stall speed its efficiency would be closer to 97%.

One thing you have to take into account with converters is heat. The higher the stall speed the more heat it's going to generate.

In addition although you can pay a lot for a crappy converter, you won't get a great converter for little money. Stick with the bigger names and recommendations from people you trust. I personally will never buy anything else but a Turbo Action converter ever again. It was the best $1000 I ever spent.

I agree with what was posted above by Guitar Jones (nice Duster BTW). :salut:

A torque converter will never be true 1:1, no matter who makes it. Depending on your combination you may want to incorporate some slippage into the converter, or you may not.

I use US torque converters in my cars, and customer cars. You'll find that most converter manufactures are going away from the 8 inch unit. Why? Supply and demand. 8 inch cores are not readily available these days (to my knowledge).

The ones we sell are 245mm (about 9.5"), with some being used behind 1800+ hp.

71Duster, if you'd like you can e-mail me [email protected] and I can spec out a converter for you at no charge! I wish you good luck either way! :thumleft:

Chris

I have a Turbo Action 4200 and I am really happy with it. I even used to run it on the street with no problem. Just make sure you use a good (large) cooler.

Duster346 Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:33 pm
A torque converter will never be true 1:1, no matter who makes it.
True, for a non-lockup converter.

71Duster, don't just buy an off-the-shelf convertor and hope it works. Get a custom designed converter that is built specifically for your combination from a reputable company. Most of them offer a free re-stall within the first year if it is not exactly to your liking.

I wonder why they dont use lock up converters in racing. It seems to me you'd get some extra top end with one.(no slipage)

Maybe to much cost for not enough gain ?

I wonder why they dont use lock up converters in racing.

Actually, some do. Maybe not the pro's though. Locking the convertor on a GN is supposed to be worth 1 or 2 tenths in the quarter. But it can be hard on the clutch inside the convertor. A stock convertor has a pretty wimpy lock-up clutch, but most aftermarket ones are pretty stout.

-
Back