Cool block prep tips

-

Mean416

Reaction score
I thought some of these ideas were pretty cool. This is Steve dulcich prepping a 440 block and has some cool ways of prepping especially with getting it ready for paint.

The sound sucks but the content is interesting. Curious what you guys think about it?

Nevermind. Thanks for showing dulcich so he could make a cool video and share the knowledge.

I thought the part about using a paint sprayer to clean the block using mineral spirits was pretty ingenious. I've always been the soapy water guy but now I'm thinking about using his approach.

I thought the part about using a paint sprayer to clean the block using mineral spirits was pretty ingenious. I've always been the soapy water guy but now I'm thinking about using his approach.
He did not use a spray gun to rinse the block off with. He used a solvent sprayer with the tube running into the gallon can sitting there by his right elbow. Just like I showed him to do.

I've heard hitting machined surfaces with a wire wheel was a no-no. I'm definitely guilty of doing it though. It's good to see I'm not alone.

I've heard hitting machined surfaces with a wire wheel was a no-no. I'm definitely guilty of doing it though. It's good to see I'm not alone.
Not recommended for a motor in a car where you have pulled the heads. But out on the engine stand have at it.

He did not use a spray gun to rinse the block off with. He used a solvent sprayer with the tube running into the gallon can sitting there by his right elbow. Just like I showed him to do.
I stand corrected. Thanks, I definitely don't want to misinform folks.

So yeah, I thought it was a cool idea. Anything you showed him that he forgot to mention? Because that's a really great idea vs. washing with water.

I have been using a propane heater or small torch to drive moisture out of anything I paint or powder. I bet he stole that idea from me.
I like the Mineral Spirits route, though I always though it would leave a film, so I've wiped everything down with Lacquer Thinner afterwards, prior to the torch process (of course making sure it was fully dry first)
I use Mineral Spirits in a jar on a rock tumbler to clean up nuts, bolts & screws. Cleans up grease and rust, fasteners look new. A couple shakedowns in another jar of the thinner to get rid of the sand/glass abrasive.

When you are on engine masters show like him then you can brag
You misunderstand. I was not bragging I was just stating a fact.
By the way I now use a calcium chloride electrical bath to take away rust completely in the block water passages and all. Then steam clean (not hot or cold water but steam) it and douche it with PB Blaster and bag it until I'm ready to paint it or build it.

Last edited:
You misunderstand. I was not bragging I was just stating a fact.
By the way I now use a calcium chloride electrical bath to take away rust completely in the block water passages and all. Then steam clean (not hot or cold water but steam) it and douche it with PB Blaster and bag it until I'm ready to paint it or build it.
I bet you get some great looking “stew” when you’re done. How much current & how long do you typically leave it in?

-
Back