Cool cars you found but owner wouldn't sell !

-

jimmer

Reaction score
I have found many. All my life my Dad, uncle, and brother have always been on the car lookout. The nervouse exciting knock on the door do you want to sell that car ? Not for sale im gonna fixx it someday, come back later, or get out of here you are on private property, or for the right price , or get it out of here !! The saddest are it's not for sale and you watch it deteriorate over the years, or you come back time n time again until one day it's gone !
One car that pops out when I think of tis is a 1971 challenger R/T 340 4speed curios yellow I found it in 1988 watched talked to the guy he was not nice acted paranoid, I went back severl times then in 2005 it was gone. Not sure what happened to it ?
I have many other stories similar that one just pops out !! What are your stories ?:happy1:

We vent on a trip to Oregon looking for car parts and we drove to a guy that had a bunch of parts. After we bought some parts he was telling us about another Mopar guy in the next town. We drove there and after we had talked with that guy for almost an hour he opened his shop and there on a engine stand was a 426 hemi from a Satellite that was totaledin late 60ies. He said he bought a brand new 1969 Dodge Charger 500 with 4 speed and he had so much fun with it. My friend replayed -You gotta miss that car? Well he said, I still have it!! The next room was a bunch of stuff and there was a dusty 69 Charger 500 w a 426 Hemi.

He knew the value of it and showed us all the parts that he had changed and also saved everything. Talk about a coincedence

So much fun the hunt and meeting cool people and the stories !!!

Down the road from me is a 71 Duster 340 4 speed, all #'s matching, unrestored car sunk down in the mud with the barn falling down onto it. Plum crazy, rallye's, shark tooth, all the goodies. Won't sell, knows what he has, but also won't accept help moving it to a safer location.

I also know an elderly man who has a beautiful unrestored 72 Swinger, 318 auto. White with black vinyl top, lots of chrome trim. He hasn't driven it in 7 years, said he won't ever buy gasoline again, but won't sell either. It sat under a car tent for years, and he would cover it up with plywood and 2x4's to try to keep the pollen off it.

Not a Mopar, (sorry) but there was a 1968 Firebird sitting in a field behind a guy's house. Knocked on his door, said it is a former drag car, interior is stripped, not for sale. Six months later, the car is gone. Not sure what happened to it.

Also not a Mopar, (sorry again!), when I was stationed at Alameda NAS in California back in the 90s, I drove a buddy to his parents house in Gridley, CA, and his dad had an old BMW (late 60s, early 70s) sitting in the bushes. Told me if I could get it running and get it off the property, I could have it. Kicking myself now for not trying, at least. Oh, well. Live and learn.

It's all good Mopar or not old cars are just cool !!! Fun to find fun to hunt more fun to drive ~!!!

I know where a 63-65 fuelie corvette convertible sits on bricks completely wrapped in traps. Been that way for at least 15 years. Won't sell it, if I got my hands on that :twisted:

a 70 dodge dart with a slant six copper with a white top ....not a high profile car but i really loved the personality of it and i kept asking about it.

owner would say no bcoz they were going to start driving it again(had expired plates when i saw it) .....then one summer (2010) i went home to my home town for a month....and when i came back he had sold it.....so end of that saga :eye:

1969 Charger 500 hemi automatic. Been sitting since 1983, he's "gonna restore it someday."

Benji

Attachments

• Rock-1.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,204
  • Rock-2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,195
back when I was a Mustang fan (sorry) a local junkyard had a complete '71 or so Mach 1 that I tried to buy- the owner wanted $1200, I offered him $700-had the cash in hand. He refused.
A few months later, it was among several cars he sold for scrap metal value. Served him right lol.

...of course, now I don't really mind that it worked out that way:D

1970 R/T SE 440 SIX PACK Charger, The man that owns it must be in his 90'S by now. It was his son's car and he passed away in the 80'S. The car sat outside under a pine tree for years till he built this garage to put it in in the early 90'S. He won't sell it and is leaving it to his daughter which has no intrest in it. I went to help him start it back in 2006 but he wanted to talk more than get it running....So we just talked...lol

Attachments

• 000_0159.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,235
  • 000_0164.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,196
  • 000_0161.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,250
  • 000_0158.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,216
  • 000_0156.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,203
  • 000_0155.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,221
  • 000_0154.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 1,247
  • 000_0153.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,230
  • 000_0152.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1,200
  • 000_0151.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,224
AAR Cuda sitting in a little town called Western, Nebraska. Had been partially parted out, but most of it was still there. Had a tree growing up through the engine bay, owner wouldn't sell, and enjoyed tormenting people with it.

WAS working on getting this car for the past few years....always met with "i've had it so long, I don't know if I want to sell it". Flash forward to 3 weeks ago, after a couple month's of negociating and "let me think about it" and he tells me that his buddy from work has been in line for it for a long time. Next time I went by...GONE!!!

1973 340 Cuda, original paint (B1 Blue) 72,000 miles!!!ARRRGGGHHH!!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_4273.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 1,246
  • 100_4272.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 1,241
  • 100_4269.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 1,199
Found a 71-74 charger in a garage while garage sale shopping, women said her husband was restoring it that was 11 years ago recently i was in the same neighborhood for a yard sale and that house i was at years ago the garage door was open and in the garage right where it was 11 years before was that charger [with a ton of stuff piled on it] sitting there unchanged. I found a 60s olds 442 complete unrestored 4 speed car in a garage it's still there. 69 Mustang mach 1 stiitng on jack stands on a carport with the motor/trans sitting in front of it [covered] it's still there,70s Challenger R/T in a garage for past 10 years [some times he puts it outside for months covered] he does woodworking probly needs the room then it goes back in and stuff gets piled on it again,there is a big metal building [40x60] around the corner from me i have spoke with the older man that owns the property [while wife shopped at his yard sale] he said he had at 20+ cars in that building everything from a stanley steamer to 60s muscle cars most of which he could not even get to due to the amount of stuff in there [i looked in the door at a wall of stuff],there's another building i pass by on my way home that's rumored to be owned by a family that has one of the oldest machine shops in the county i live in i have seen a 63/64 stingray hardtop shell sitting on 55 gallon barrels in there [while the doors were open] theres a 30+ foot racecar trailer in there and i'm sure other cool cars n stuff + 60s speed equipment. All these finds are 5 miles of my home i have asked to purchase them all and the same story NFS and i'm gonna fix it up,thankfully all but the stang is in garages so they won't rot into the ground. There are many more around my area but i have paid no attention to them due to outside storage and the complete deterioation of most of them.

I know were there is a 68 Shelby rusting away in a dirt floor garage. Owner is in his late 60's and won't sell. I am friends with a guy that took 20 grand cash and he refused. This is for a car that there is nothing left from the doors down.

Jack

Friend up here has a 74 360 4spd Challenger. Still runs, but rust is getting the better of it. He has it put away and delights in tormenting me and other Mopar fans saying maybe he should just scrap it. I know that will never happen. Hope he restores it someday.

know of a mining town in arizona that has alot of classic cars, mostly 50s, few mopars hear and their, asked a couple of people about them and some wanted too much, some not selling, few others "gona fix it up soon" which i revisited the area 3 years later and still see them sitting in their yards just rusting away.

Guy in Hampton fl. has 1970 340, 3 speed manual Dodge Dart pale yellow under awning in back yard. Stopped and asked about 15 years ago and wanted $20,000.00 for it still sitting same spot.

Former neighbor had a 67 Cheby II. 327 4 speed. Was just sitting in his drive way for years. Asked him 4 or 5 times a year for 4 years.

This one is probably still sitting where I saw it. Wouldn't sell, oh ya, would for $11,000! Two owner car. 1969 340 Swinger 4 speed numbers match. I will go back some day again.

Attachments

• Dart1.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 1,104
  • 69 Dart Swinger 014.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,096
  • 69 Dart Swinger 010.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,105
  • 69 Dart Swinger 011.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,097
I was one of those guys. People drove me nuts wanting to buy my car, A car that I had history with. If I restore it or let it rot, it's my prerogative. BTW I finally restored it.

I have a friend that has a 69 Plymouth GTX 440 auto. He bought it in 1970, went in the army for 2 years, got married when he got out and quit driving it in about 1974 and it has been setting in the driveway ever since. I haven't seen it in years but last time I did see it it was rusting away. I have a 1968 Barracuda that my Dad bought in 1970. 318 auto notchback coupe. I drove it from 71 to 76 and then Dad drove it for another 20 + years. He died last Dec and I now have it. Hope to restore it one of these days.

rmbjr Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope the car gets done and brings fond memories !!! God Bless

WAS working on getting this car for the past few years....always met with "i've had it so long, I don't know if I want to sell it". Flash forward to 3 weeks ago, after a couple month's of negociating and "let me think about it" and he tells me that his buddy from work has been in line for it for a long time. Next time I went by...GONE!!!

1973 340 Cuda, original paint (B1 Blue) 72,000 miles!!!ARRRGGGHHH!!! Geof

WOW cool cuda ...im kinda partial to B1 blue E-body ...bcoz i have that car's cousin ....a 73 challenger in the same color 340 /4 speed .....my car is much better shape but in pieces ...seeing that gets me motivated

i dont even normally care for blue but that B1 is just attractive

-
Back