Cool use of a Chrysler Firepower engine

-

Ottmundr

68 Fastback
Reaction score
The Soviets knew they couldn't win because of this. You can thank God that they didn't choose an inferior engine from Ford or GM...

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.curbsideclassic.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2011%2F12%2F1951-Hemi.jpg

There used to be one of those mounted on a BIG pole behind a fire station in north Macon until about the mid 80s. They set that bad boy off the first Wednesday of the month at 11 AM. We could hear it pretty loud about five miles away.

Mopar Action had an article on those years ago. Could start fires and all sorts of fun.

Don Garlits has one of them in his museum in Ocala. I saw it when I took the tour about 10 years ago.

Chrysler industrials were used for irrigation pumps, air compressors, gensets and a multitude of used...tuff stuff.

They used a "chopper wheel" to generate the sirens frequency, not a compressor into a horn. They tour on a trailer to shows. I can see propane being used as sitting fuel for a month is bad in anything. We start our diesel generators every month at our central offices for phone backup. IIRC diesel is very stable over time if kept airtight.

In cripple creek Colorado I rode in a mine shaft elevator with a 331 bolted to the winch for back up if the power went out.

They used a "chopper wheel" to generate the sirens frequency, not a compressor into a horn. They tour on a trailer to shows. I can see propane being used as sitting fuel for a month is bad in anything. We start our diesel generators every month at our central offices for phone backup. IIRC diesel is very stable over time if kept airtight.
Diesel needs to be treated for green slime if stored more than six months or so.

Twice I have mothballed my Peterbilts when freight rates took a dive or fuel prices hit $4.00/gallon. The first time the truck sat 12 months and I was plagued by plugged fuel filters even after treating the fuel. The first 5,000 miles I must have changed the filters a dozen times.

The second time I pretreated the fuel and the results were better but not perfect.

-
Back