cool wire trick

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
This weekend i installed a stereo in the daily driver. I have used a trick for a while now that i thought you guys might find useful. It works best for larger gauge wiring but here it is. I use a brake line flaring tool. I put the terminal end into the tool then put the tool in the vise to compress the fittings. it works like a charm. here are a couple pics.

no i don't. I use a shrink wrap over them. I am a novice with electrical and am open to new ideas. i use this method because a crimping tool usually mangles the fittings.

A good crimp is enough, solder introduces a less conductive metal between the joint.

Not sure that is enough crimp. Have you tried a pull test?

Solder is used for low current applications, at high current it evaporates from the joint.
The high resistance of solder and low melting point is responsible.

A good crimp is enough, solder introduces a less conductive metal between the joint.

Not sure that is enough crimp. Have you tried a pull test?

Solder is used for low current applications, at high current it evaporates from the joint.
The high resistance of solder and low melting point is responsible.

yes i do the pull test. these suckers are on there tight.

I like the idea as it keep things from getting crushed. With that said I would add some solder as well. If it was me I would take the wire, after you crimped it, and place it in a vice so you are looking down and looking at the copper (like in your pic). I would then take small torch heat it up and put some electrical solder down into the copper and connector.

-
Back