Coolant Bottle

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Im curious as to how many of you have a coolant bottle. My 71 Scamp had one mounted to the passenger side fender but Im not sure if it was factory even though its got the Pentastar on it. Thing is I dont have a cap for it so it makes a mess.

If it was not factory I would rather get rid of it but Im wondering what you guys do if you are running one? I was debating about just running a catch can type.

I have run one for years. Just a generic catch bottle from the auto store. There are two main advantages: 1) a lot of tracks won't allow you to run without one; 2) it makes it easier to add coolant, since you don't have to pop the hot radiator cap.

That said, I never liked how it fit (I had it mounted by the horns (close to the outflow pipe) but I had to twist one sideways to fit it. I actually like the milky-white look of a factory-type tank (looks OEM) , but i want a much narrower one than I have found so far. What I do NOT want is a colored aluminum or stainless steel or chrome "bling" job. But that is what seems to be available.

That is one thing also I do plan on taking it to the track a few times so Im sure I have to have something. I like the idea of a small catch can, but I dont think you can add to the system like you do a regular bottle. I wish I could find a cap for mine but I doubt that is going to happen.

I have a plastic factory recovery tank that I want to replace with one of those little aluminum miniature beer kegs.

Recovery tanks are a must to me because I hate it when they just burp out on the ground and need to be topped off all the time.

I like that. Although that's right where my horns are. Where did you move those to? Also what's the size on that, length etc...

My horns are on the other side. The tank is 13" tall. The only thing I don't like is the threads are very hard to get started on the top. Otherwise, it looks good and works as it should. Since these pics were taken I added a chrome Coolflex upper radiator hose.

Overflow kits allow the radiator to be completely filled letting coolant in or out as needed thereby keeping air out of the system. That's why you never see rusty water in cars with them.

-
Back