Coolant comes out of right rear header bolt when removed.

-

Dan B.

78 and still going.
Reaction score
Today I started removing the right header on my 360 ci Magnum engine so I can get at the oil filter. The filter comes straight out from the block and is nearly impossible to change because of header pipes and everything else being in the way and when you do get it out oil spills out on the headers. My plan is to relocate the filter up next to the left side of the radiator. Anyway, when I removed the last bolt next to the firewall on the right side collant started coming out. From what I have read this is not uncommon. I noticed all the bolts have a red in color RTV (?) on the threads. (I never experienced any leaking from any of the header bolts). When I reinstall these bolts should use, Red RTV?, thread sealant? or Nylon pipe tape? I have heard that the tape works great and is not affected by the heat from the heads. Any comments?

I like teflon tape. Doesn't stick and gob up and cause a mess, helps keep the bolts from freezing. ALL SB head these end bolts go into coolant.

I like teflon tape. Doesn't stick and gob up and cause a mess, helps keep the bolts from freezing. ALL SB head these end bolts go into coolant.

Which is why they’re supposed to be studs. :D

I thought the magnum heads had blind holes. My 5.9 magnum doesn't leak coolant when the header bolts are removed.

-
Back