Coolant Concerns

-

Got2Gnow

Reaction score
The overflow bottle in my 1971 Dart Swinger has brown and muddy looking liquid in it. I removed the radiator cap and saw the same brown and muddy looking liquid. So I'm thinking it's time for a radiator flush. I opened the petcock and out flowed crisp clean lime green anti-freeze. What is going on?

Lack of maintenance is what is going on.
Have never seen a vehicle that has had the brown gunk circulating...it always rises to the top...suspect that the coolant is more dense than the sludge.
Don't be surprised if a freeze out plug or two fails soon...

Sludge don't flow. Whatever sludge is already is in the engine is just that, IN the engine. It's not gunna flow out freely. It's gunna stick to every corner, twist, or edge of any kind it can.

Honestly I've never had "brown muddy" looking coolant when I popped a cap. Hard to say how you'll get it out. Pressurized coolant flush?

that overflow is bottom fed so the sludge is probably oil based that is lighter than water so it seeked the highest point in the system, then it gets blown out the radiator to the puke tank and rises to the top of that, never to be sucked in again. sort of a self cleaning operation I suppose. Like a fat seperator that has the pour spout originating at the bottom. If you can just drain the puke tank and clean, I bet youll be ok, flush if needed.

-
Back