Coolant leak inside!!!!

-

OlDuster

Reaction score
Took the Dart out to clear the rust out of the exhaust. I kicked her down and she rev'd up to the shift point. I smelled antifreeze... Where? I looked down at the passenger side floor mat and water had been spraying out from the heater. It does not leak when driving under normal circumstances. When I spin it, the Dart looses coolant. I have not been able to get under the dash to see what is there. I am hoping I just need to tighten the hose clamps. Anyone have any ideas or had this happen to them? I replaced the hoses when I installed the new engine. Maybe they just need to be te-tightened.

I am thinking the same. I guess I will just have to hunker down and tighten the clamps. At 6'2", over 60 and 275, I have a little trouble getting under the dash! I can take out the bench seat if I have too. Oh well, time will tell....

The heater core could also be going bad, that's what usually happens when you get coolant leaking into the passenger compartment. Mine started leaking as soon as I replaced an old radiator cap.
If it is going bad, you can always bypass the hoses where they attach to the motor. You won't have a heater but at least it won't leak until you get it fixed.

That does sound symptomatic of a bad heater core Olduster. I don`t know about you ,but I hate working under the dash. The job`s not too bad, if you just pull the entire box so you can work it on a bench. Regardless, my heart goes out to ya! Maybe you`ll be lucky and find it`s something simple.

Bad heater core is my guess. same thing happened to my Charger back in the late 80's. I don't have to worry about it in the dart cause its(heater core/box) is blocked off :)

If it is the heater core don't despair, I put one in my Scamp this spring and it took about 1 1/2 hours start to finish which included time for the heater box to dry after I washed it out and a cup of coffee. So about an hour of real working time. The only thing that was a moderate pain in the butt was reattaching the control cables once the heater box was back in.

-
Back