Coolant Leak Question

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Was out in the garage fiddling with the Duster and noticed a puddle of coolant sitting on the flat above the water pump. (See the red fluid on the pics below) Car's been sitting for almost 2 months and was not leaking when we last drove it. Guessing either a bad front (cork) gasket on the intake manifold or that short hose going from the pump to motor. Sound like the most likely suspects? The coolant system was pressurized and virtually full when I popped the radiator cap. No evidence of any coolant anywhere else on/under the car. But seems odd that it would leak while just sitting in the garage.

IMG_4367.jpg

IMG_4368.jpg

Thanks much,

Pat

A hose clamp a little loose or seepage from the theromostat housing.are my best guesses. A tiny leak will evaporate from a running engine.
I've seen hose nipples so deteriorated that a hose clamp couldn't prevent seepage
I would dry and clean the mess and watch for new evidence.

From what I can see in the pic is that the clamp looks to be squeezing the hose pretty much on the inake side. You have a 70 and later pump and hose. And possibly a 69 or earlier intake which takes a smaller hose. The hose should slide on the intake fitting/nipple snug. If it don't it will start to seep.

The make a insert for the hose to adapt the larger hose to the smaller nipple. Or you can retap the intake and install the correct nipple. I already cut a length the smaller used hose the same length as the nipple and slid the larger hose over it. It held just fine.

I believe NAPA sells the hose slieve adapter for this .Some times it comes with the new by-pass hose which is what this hose is called. It by-pasees the thermostat when the engine is cold and the thermostat is closed.

The cork intsake end gasket can never leak water it only seals oil. It is more then likly the hose.

Is that a pipe nipple in the intake manifold? If so and the end where the hose is, is threaded, that may be where your leak is.

Good Morning fellas. Thanks for the quick replies. I will pull/check the hoses in question and check all the clamps, nipples etc. I really appreciate the input.

Enjoy what's left of the weekend guys,

Pat

Mine does the exact same thing,I put a rag there. Plan on getting to it when weather warms up. I have the pipe nipple also I am thinking that is the problem.

Loose clamp. Defiantly not the cork gasket. If it were you would have oil up there not coolant.

THAT HOSE LOOKS FONKEY. You need to repair that. Everybody in hear knows that even if that hose isnt leaking it looks like its about to blow anyway![-X

THAT HOSE LOOKS FONKEY. You need to repair that. Everybody in hear knows that even if that hose isnt leaking it looks like its about to blow anyway![-X

Ya...it does look a bit bloated doesn't it. Definitely gonna replace that thing. :salut:

preasurized?

Ya...got that Ppfffffttt sound (Ya I know quite the technical term....:p)

when I back off the cap.

Thanks again all for chiming in with your input and suggestions,
Pat

-
Back