Coolant Temperature Sensor Connector

-

Rustyfish

Reaction score
Not sure why this is so hard, but I can't seem to find the correct one for my '66 Barracuda. Mine went missing at some point and now putting the car back together I'd like to get the temp gauge going. I know the Echlin EC104 is too small to fit the stud on my sensor. Does anyone have the correct part #?

I got a new wiring harness from Year One 2 years ago for my '65 Dart and it has the correct connector. If someone knows who makes the their harnesses, maybe I can find it from them.

Thanks

s-l500.jpg

If you try calling it what it is, a sending unit and not a sensor, which it is NOT, you might have better luck.

most every other application uses #8 studs on senders. Chrysler is the oddball with their #10 studs on senders. #10 is very close to 3/16 (.1875).
If you want OEM type with the weather boot, go to a parts yard. Coolant sender, fuel sender are the same, and possibly the brake warning sender on proportion valve.
If you only care about the fitment and not the weather boot, the noise suppression capasitior on the back of those instrument panels that have the mechanical voltage limiter inside the 3 post fuel gauge, its connector fits the #10 post too. I purchased a quantity of these from a member here who had several used rally instrument panels, just for their connectors.

I would attempt to stretch the NAPA one. Get a couple of screws larger than "it now is" and take your sender / sensor with you if need be to get the right size on. Maybe "let's say" chuck one in a drill, file/ round off the end to allow forcing into the connector

So far as sender/ sensor, we may have called them senders back then, as did the books, but in fact a sender IS a sensor, just different/ modern term. It "senses" temp and provides an output change

Last edited:
I would attempt to stretch the NAPA one. Get a couple of screws larger than "it now is" and take your sender / sensor with you if need be to get the right size on. Maybe "let's say" chuck one in a drill, file/ round off the end to allow forcing into the connector

So far as sender/ sensor, we may have called them senders back then, as did the books, but in fact a sender IS a sensor, just different/ modern term. It "senses" temp and provides an output change
Thanks Del, I always like giving RRR a hard time when I can. I'll probably end up giving that a try.

When I mic'd the stud it read .18"
That's why the metal part of the connector is split at 180 degree locations, so it will fit a variety of applications.

I chose my words very carefully, because well, that's what Napa calls it.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECH...ZGTSHkxLlwqt2xM6k0aAorVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&
And IMO, a better description. Mopar calls it the temperature gauge sending unit, but, really....it's not sending anything. It's basically, a temperature controlled potentiometer that grounds that wire to a greater or lesser degree. Same goes with the oil gauge and fuel gauge units. We all call them senders however, so, whatever......we know what you mean regardless of which term you wish to use.

i have used the ford one and just made it fit mine. might see if fuel sending unit is the same as the sender.

This post reminds me of a local mechanic who insists on calling the distributor in my old cars as "cam position sensor". He isn't totally wrong.

-
Back