........cooling fan......

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
..............Is it cost effective to put a new fan into my lap top HP Pavilion, model number g7-2033ca......r they very hard to change or hard to get at?....it is windows 7....every1 here recommends a new lap top...thanks.......kim.....

Since it's a home-use type computer, it might be kind of difficult to get at.

I'd probably check Ebay to see if they have the fan for it listed on there. If it's a couple bucks, I'd roll the dice.

If you get a new laptop, I'd recommend a corporate model over a home model.

if it keeps you from having to downgrade to windows 10, I think it would be worth it

Used ebay parts is what you wanna look at. I bet a new one---if you can get one at all--is worth more than the laptop.

EG........I have TWO Thinkpads I use every day. T520, I5 processors. They will run W7, 8, and I use Linux. I have about 150 each into them.

Are you sure the fan isn't just full of lint?

It appears you can download the maintenance / service manual

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-g7-Notebook-PC-series/5226249/model/5275605/manuals

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Amazon claims they have one for 8 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GYOS1JS/?tag=joeychgo-20

When my fan in my dell stopped working all I did was clean a big lint ball out of it and it worked fine. Be good place to start before throwing money at it. Wasnt to bad to get to even though I never worked on a labtop before.

The price is going to depend if you just get the fan, or if you get the fan/heatsink assembly. HP Parts Surfer wants $65 for the whole assembly, P/N 680551-001. I also saw them online as refurbs for over $120. If you just get the fan itself, it's pretty cheap. Say, around $10 to $15. I think someone said they saw one online for $8. If you do go the new fan and/or heatsink route, can you do the work yourself or will you need to farm it out? That can increase the price quite a bit, depending on who is doing the work. Just like on your car.

Here's a video showing the disassembly of an HP G7-2000 series laptop, the cleaning/replacing of the thermal paste, and the removal/reinstallation of the cooling fan/heatsink assembly:

[ame]https://youtu.be/MoSrAPF_8fo[/ame]
Bear in mind that this video may not be specific to your exact model. There are some slight differences between the various models in the series. Just a heads up.

If this doesn't intimidate you, I'd say give it a try. You might find you only needed to clean your fan and heatsink and it works as good as new. Or, the fan might be okay but you just needed to redo your thermal paste.

Whatever you decide, however, is entirely up to you. It's your laptop. We can only make suggestions. Good luck!

.............Thanks guys..............1 thing I noticed is that the fan is running as soon as I turn on the lap top and hardly shuts off even though it is not very warm..it really never came on b4.....so does this mean I need the heat sink also or do I have bigger problems........kim......

Mine seems to get to the point where the fan runs pretty steady. That's when I open the back up and blow it out with the canned compressed air. It's usually pretty dusty. But this has become more regular now that my computer is older. If you've never cleaned it out, it may just need this.

.............Thanks guys..............1 thing I noticed is that the fan is running as soon as I turn on the lap top and hardly shuts off even though it is not very warm..it really never came on b4.....so does this mean I need the heat sink also or do I have bigger problems........kim......

That sounds like a very different problem. You are saying the fan runs when it normally would not? Does the laptop seem to be overheating?

This would be the firmware / bios / software that controls the fan. It might be something corrupt in the OS

Figure out how to access the bios setup and see if there's anything in there that seems incorrect.

This might also be the ducting in and out of the machine plugged which gets back to dirt and lint

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01007591

It might also be that there is some process going on which is using a lot of CPU. This may indeed be a process "you don't want"

-
Back