Cooling for Early A

-

Detroit Iron

Reaction score
1964 A body cars came with 19" radiators. My '64 now has a 340 in it, so cooling has been an issue in Summer driving on city streets and sitting at stop lights. I recently installed a Derale electric fan which moves plenty of air past the little 19" radiator.

Just thought I'd share my set up and would like to what others have done to cool their narrow body Mopars.

Attachments

• Electric.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 407
I,d lose the metal shroud that's keeping cool air from flowing through your rad.If you don,t want to remove it,at least drill some big holes in it for some air flow.JMO

I installed a 22" rad from a later 318 car in my 65, 273 Commando motor, also used water wetter, car barely ever saw 180.

My setup. Car is still being assembled so I can't speak to the radiators cooling abilities. But it's a 3 row with a flex fan and 1/2" spacer. I wanted to go electruc fans, but it's too tight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 369
My car is a 66 so it has the 22" radiator support and a stock 22" radiator with 3 cores! I also have the original 2 piece metal fan shroud and an original 17" 7 blade fan from an early A/C car, and a clutch from a later model!! No problems overheating, just a leaky freeze plug between the motor and trans that keeps it from pressurizing! Looking at pulling the motor this winter to remedy a miriad of different calamities!! Geof

Your fan shroud blocks more air than it directs. I would improve the fan shroud.

I installed a 22" rad from a later 318 car in my 65, 273 Commando motor, also used water wetter, car barely ever saw 180.

this is what i did as well. used an american eagle radiator (sister company to champion cooling) for a 74 dart in my 66. (i have an aluminum water pump) 318 gran fury highway patrol engine, 195 stat, flex fan with a 1" spacer, and no shroud (yet) I made sure my nitrate and pH levels were correct, and tadaah!! works like it should. throwing around the idea of dual electric fans but im not sure yet....i only have 2 inches of clearance so a single fan is out of the question.

Attachments

• IMG_20140727_130008_359.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_20140727_130020_872.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 349
I used the core support out of a 65 Cuda....so I have the bigger radiator in mine.

1964 A body cars came with 19" radiators. My '64 now has a 340 in it, so cooling has been an issue in Summer driving on city streets and sitting at stop lights. I recently installed a Derale electric fan which moves plenty of air past the little 19" radiator.

Just thought I'd share my set up and would like to what others have done to cool their narrow body Mopars.

Now if someone would make a 19 inch radiator for a slant 6 in a early A body.

Brian

Brian

YES1 closest thing I've seen is where ya pay Champion extra $$$$$ to move and make lower outlet correct for it. add another what? $65 and $75 to the already big price.......
or look at prices of chevy aluminum radiators!??? LOL
but what the heck! everyone KNOWS us early slant A guys are made out of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ LO L
ya know, I have to think there is enough early slant A body business where someone would make a cpmpetitive priced ( or even overpriced), slant earlyA, 18 in rad!?????

Brian

Just got one in the mail from Randy Pettey in Michigan. Custom made, fits inside the original radiator opening with an offset neck to get more fan space.

Attachments

• 63valiant6cyl 002.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 312
I,d lose the metal shroud that's keeping cool air from flowing through your rad.If you don,t want to remove it,at least drill some big holes in it for some air flow.JMO

This is a 17" fan that moves 2400 cfm, so there's no more cooling issues now that the direct drive fan is gone. It moves plenty of air. The core is a three row, so that help too.

I used the core support out of a 65 Cuda....so I have the bigger radiator in mine.

That's the hot ticket.

My setup. Car is still being assembled so I can't speak to the radiators cooling abilities. But it's a 3 row with a flex fan and 1/2" spacer. I wanted to go electruc fans, but it's too tight.

Exactly what i have with a 160 stat, most of time it runs at 160 unless hot day then goes to 185, and i am at 11.1 comp..

Robert,

My 65 formula S needs a new radiator and tired of fixing the one in it. I was thinking of aluminum just like what you just did, as I too need trans cooler too! My car is updated to 318 and 904 trans later model than original. So my question is how much did it cost and contact information as I am in the Chicago area and this winter want to swap out. Right now I got a pin hole leak and running with a loose cap to keep pressure off it. Just a pain in the butt!

65Cudalover

-
Back