cop wheels

-

Louie70Dart

Southern IL. Complete opposite of k-town
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Went to an all AMC car show today. Some people were selling parts. Ran across this guy selling 15 x 7 cop wheels. I am new when it comes to wheels and tires, having said that I picked up that set of wheels for $100. Only one picture, lbp and my Dart is sbp. LOL. Well, I see an upgrade in the future. Rusty as all get out, but look straight with no dings on the edge. For that price I felt it was a good deal. Time will tell.

Attachments

• July 30, 2011 AMC car show Kenosha Wi lakefront 023 mailer.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 201
We use to run those with trim ring and the center out of the rally rims-paint them silver (argent) and they look good.

Cop wheels used to be the poor mans way into wider wheels, I used to get them for 7 to 10 bucks apiece at the pick-a-parts.

Sturdy as hell, if they are straight, they'll probably stay that way short of a massive contact with a curb. Major drawbacks now are their weight (about 28 lbs), four pounds more than other comparable wheels, and the 15" diameter limiting modern tire choices. Still and all, a great looking wheel easily spruced up with paint or powder coat (the set I'm currently running are powder coated white).

In addition to the cop dog dishes I've used various 10 hole rally center caps (I remember that if you use cookie cutters, their outside edge will stand proud of the center rib about 3/8", but still look good) and just about any trim ring. My current set are bare with long chrome lugs.]
Do yourself a favour and get them spun to check radial and lateral runout to make sure they're in spec before you do anything else. If they don't run true, they're not much good for anything but large paperweights.

Cheapest way I've found into the BBP is to find the uprights (steering knuckles with complete disc brake assemblies) from F,M,J bodies. Garden variety Dippies (M body) from the mid, late 80's were about the easiest to find around here is the recent past, but even they are drying up. If you can find one of the last B body Dobies (late 70s Cordoba, also dodge Magnum), they carry the desirable bigger rotors and you want to at least get the caliper brackets.

Think I read F and M body upper control arms work too. Comparing them to your SBP arms should tell the tale.

That isn't a bad deal- I've seen full sets with caps (that didnt look all that much cleaner) going for $250. I gave my buddy the last spare set I had for his '69 V-200 (we horse trade alot, so...) and I have a set that are body color on my '85 AHB. Not real easy to find anymore

-
Back